Five years, I really missed it!

Finally after a 5 year restoration, I picked up my series 3 today. I was starting to worry it wouldn’t be finished for the 20th anniversary of ownership next month. I still have to do the interior hopefully in the next few days.

I had sorta forgotten how fantastic a V12 E-type feels on the road. Massive amount of torque and with the 5 speed, at 85mph it only turns around 2600. I had driven the GTV6 on the way to the shop and two cars couldn’t be more different yet both so much fun. The GTV6 is high reving with longer throws on the transaxle 5 speed. I have a really short stick in the E-type which felt weird at first. Interestingly both cars have onboard rear brakes

I ll post better pictures in the next couple of days…

The project was extensive. Lots of rust repair, painted gun metal instead of silver, conversion to series 1 headlights, rebuilt V12 by Coventry West (great job Dick!), rebuild JT5, new wiring, new gas tank, new AC, new Suffolk and Turkey interior from CJ and the list goes on. I also removed the chrome around the bonnet opening and the vent on the rear hatch. Also rebuilt all the gauges, and added a second temp gauge and sender to monitor both banks.

The 15+ year old CJ alum shocks, alum radiator and gear reduction starter were kept as is. Cooling fans upgraded to Audi fans.

Needless to say, I am glad series 3 FHC agave jumped in values :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Pascal – that is one impressive looking ride. Love the color choice.
Looking forward to seeing interior & engine shoots

Craig

1 Like

How would you compare the feel of the DeDion of the GTV with the full IRS of the Jag?

That E-type is absolutely stunning! Please drive it as much as you can. It looks so regal yet willing to perform.

With Pascal’s reputation, i doubt there’s any chance that it won’t be driven. And driven a lot.

I really like the look of the body-color sugar scoops.

I ve driven this E-type thru 45 states… rest assured it will be driven!

It has been desmogged, delucasified and simplified :slight_smile:

Only glitch so far are temp gauges which, although new from Nissonger along with the senders, are reading 20deg high. I removed the clock, moved the oil pressure to the middle and added a second temp gauge to have one on each bank

1 Like

Looks lovely
How did you convert the headlights? They look really good

I used the sheet metal from Monocoque metalwork and standard S1 glass and trim from Welsh

Looks lovely as it did before and after the accident. I will never forget the photo of it in the snow somewhere on the road in the north west. A long way from home.
pauls

As do I: I painted them body color on Tweety, and think they were MUCH more attractive than the silver.

Besides, what else are you going to do with left over purple paint?
Hey Paul?

1 Like

Durn tootin’!!!

Otherwise, Ida had to go get silver paint!

Pascal,
I love what you are doing with your car, and what you’ve done to it.
One thing with the old Aldan shocks, make sure the rods are not unscrewing themselves out of the top mounting. The threaded rod end is locked in place with back to back set screws.
After many miles one of mine worked itself out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. The spring started banging against a halfshaft u joint. it sounded exactly like a u joint gone bad, but it was only the shock coming apart.
Eventually, I switched to Gaz front & rear.

That color looks really good on that car.

Sorry to say I found another one…

You’ve accidentally fitted the car upside down to the front overriders. Easily done, like missing a letter when you’re concentrating on the calligraphy. Five minutes with a Stihl cutter should fix it.

Beautiful.

If I remember right in the JCNA magazine a few years back… I liked the one he took in Montana (I think) looking out over the bonnet with a long stretch of completely empty road laid out ahead. Not a better running engine in the world than a Jag V12 and this is coming from a XK guy.

David
68 E-type FHC

I meant mechanically… i didnt notice the overriders but now that you mention it they are upside down. There are also a few issues around the bonnet adjustment as well as teh sugar scoop fitting. Chuck (metalwork) sent me some tips about the scoops.

The body shop also lost a few bits and pieces for the interior. I should have pulled the interior myself but didnt expect the rust to be so bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

These ? That was back in 2006 when i did Miami Seattle in about 46 hours door to door :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I spoke to them about my new gauge and was told that using teflon tape, as I did, puts added resistance in the ground connection. I made a simple quick fix by using a hose clamp around the body of the sender unit to trap a ground wire. Seems to be more accurate now.

Interesting… I ll have to check what was used in the threads