Flasher problems?

Hello all, Just a quick post to tell of a possible solution to some of the flasher problems you may be having. My XJ6 S3 Sovereign had intermitent flashers and usually when you turned them on they would flash maybe once or twice then the light would come on and stay on. Sometimes they would not flash at all. On researching the problem I decided to pull the flasher unit and replace the
4.7 microfarad 50V capacitor. The flasher unit on my car was on the driver’s side right next to the main fuse box. It is a largish black plastic box and sits on a blue plastic connector, Once out of the car it’s easy to remove the innards by levering it over the small retaining clips. The capacitor in question is fairly obvious. I replaced it with a 4.7 micro farad 63V version as that was what I had. I also noticed that some of the existing soldering looked decidedly dodgy. I heated the solder on one pin and it came away with the soldering iron very easily. This usually means that the solder was not adhered to the pin and pad properly. So a fresh application of solder and flux should solve that problem. As a extra precaution I reworked all the soldering. Also when I removed the capacitor I checked it on my multimeter under capacitor setting and found it to be good. As the flasher was working properly after refitting I think the problem was caused but the dodgy soldering. A quick, cheap and easy repair for anyone having similar problems.

Good to know this thanks for sharing.

Probably one of the ‘one off’ problems, Con - requiring the sort of electrical ‘nous’ you obviously have…:slight_smile:

Admirable - now have a look at Tyler’s somewhat different problem!

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

In true DIY fashion Con !

Yes, same problem, same solution.
But went a bit further… replaced the capacitor with a bigger one and now it flashes a little slower.
It was too fast for my liking.
You could play and test by adding an extra capacitor in parallel with the existing one.

Best,
Aristides

I’m impressed Frank !

Aristides

Thank you both. I am a little bit lucky that I worked as an electronics tech for a few years so not afraid of “letting the magic smoke out”. What is Tylers problem Frank?

ou should see his flasher problem on the list, Con…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Yep found it after I posted the last msg. I was thinking a bad earth. We have a Renault Clio which has a bad earth and presents with all sorts of lighting problems. Just need time to sort it out.
Con