Flexplate removal

How would I go about removing a flexplate from a 1965 4.2? I’ve tried hitting it with a big mallet. Nothing. I’ve read that wiggling it back and forth and/or hitting it with a hammer should be sufficient, but also that you need to put bolts in the threaded dowels and us a slide hammer, which seems a bit much (and I don’t have a slide hammer). Suggestions?

Can you screw bolts into the dowels and then try to lever them out with pry bars?

I’ve had success before by putting a bolt through a socket with heavy washers to keep it from pulling through, and use it as a puller for the dowel. As you tighten the bolt, it pulls the dowel through the socket. You may have to keep subtracting washers as the dowel moves. On the one I did this way (65 4.2), after the dowel budged, the plate tapped off. As a matter of fact, I have to do this job in the next couple of days on a very old and stuck engine that I anticipate being a struggle. If I have any other insights after, I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Thanks! 1/2" fine thread bolt and a 3/4 socket did the trick! Came out nice and easy.