Floppy turn signal fix

Since JohnJohn posted his turn signal switch repair I thought I’d post something to go along with it.

My turn signal switch broke at the plastic tightening collar. I bought a used assembly. It came broken st the same location. I bought another. It came broken in exactly the same spot. I see a pattern developing. Nice “registered design” Lucas!

I’ve tried repairing this plastic. I cannot get a permanent bond with anything. And too much force involved to trust it.

So I cut down a hose clamp, fanned up a tab to tighten it with, and cut it to length to fit. In order to attach it I drilled a fine hole through the plastic collar about 180 degrees from the break, and pinned the clamp band to the plastic with a fine nail cut to length. Not pictured. Then I roughed up the plastic where the bands slots landed, eploxied outer plastic band and both sides of the band. Place the strap, inset pin. Wait for epoxy to harden. I had a bit extra, so I beefed up this area. Not necessary. The pin would suffice with no epoxy used at all.

And the business end.

Since I figured photo uploads, I’ll
Push my luck with this stable switching video demo.

Nope… oh well.

It’s solid like a rock now when switching.

4 Likes

I just went through something similar yesterday. Tightened down on mine, and it cracked in the same place.

I was able to use crazy glue, but I ‘think’ you’re not supposed to overtighten this plastic clamp. 2nd try, I tightened only until snug. It sill wiggled left right. But once I put the top and bottom covers on, and the instrument cluster sat flush on top, the entire switch unit was stable.

1 Like

Superglue was my first, temporary, fix. One left turn it let go. Good luck with yours!

I cranked this steel strap down until the switch assembly was unmovable. Snug!

I expect this to be the last time I fix it.

Good fix! I probably would have used a tiny screw and nut rather than a cut-down nail, and I would have omitted the epoxy altogether.

A band clamp from a CV joint might be another place to get a suitable band.

1 Like

I have a bunch of these out of my XJ6 parts cars and from a number of other sources and most of them are cracked in the same place.

Paul

1 Like

I test drove it 15 minutes afterwards, so far so good. How long did yours last? I didn’t tighten it too much, was able to move it back and forth before I put it all back together which now keeps it stationary.

Superglue lasted at least a few weeks if I recall. Then sprung. If it works for you then that’s great! Not trying to doom your repair!

If it does go, at least I have a solution that you figured out!