Ford parts in my 2017 F type

Checking things out under the bonnet of the F type. Surprised to see Ford parts still being used? Oil filter assembly, coolant fill tank and cap, and throttle body FoMoCo. Maybe more?
Picked up car today from the dealer after 9 days there. That’s how long it took to replace the battery and a worn door hinge. Hope to enjoy the car for a long time.
Glenn

I think only engine parts were sourced from Ford. But I’m not 100% sure.

The reason for this being that the AJ126/AJ133 (current V6 and V8, respectively), are based on the AJ-V8, which was developed when Jaguar was still owned by Ford, and which was used by both Jaguar and Ford/Lincoln.

1 Like

Did Ford use the V6/8, in other cars, too?

News to me… which is not surprising, given how little attention I’ve paid to cars!

Ford never used the current generation AJ126 V6 (nor the current AJ133 V8), because they were developed after Ford sold JLR to Tata. They did use the original AJ-V8, though. So, basically, they used the older 4.0 version of the V8, but never the 5.0 V8, nor the 3.0, 90-degree V6 that Jaguar currently uses.

That said, Ford of course did use the older AJ-V6 engine, which was just a specialized version of Ford’s Duratec V6 engine anyway. Jaguar used this engine in the X-Type, S-Type, and the 2008-2011 XF.

About the AJ-V8, according to Wikipedia:

“Ford Motor Company also used this engine in other cars, including the Lincoln LS and the 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird, as well as in several Land Rovers, and the Aston Martin V8 Vantage”

1 Like

Continuing to use Ford components with proven reliability is a wise choice by Jaguar. Their own track record of auxiliary part design (especially plastic ones) is near-catastrophic by modern standards.

One of the secrets to Toyota reliability is that they reuse proven parts in new designs as long as possible. They don’t redo a part for the sake of it. I believe they also take this into account in the design process, whereas many other manufacturers design first then will engineer new components as needed to get the design to fit (even in mundane items like coolant tanks and thermostat housings.)

Works great if you have a good, experienced design and engineering staff. Not sure why Jaguar has such problems here.

Dave