Former XJS V12 Owner

I used to be a member here, years back. I was TerriC and had a red 89 XJS. Biggest mistake ever was selling that car. So, now I am back and looking at an XK8 or XKR. One of the things I loved was that driving the XJS was like riding on a cloud. it just floated over the road. I drove a 98 XK8 last weekend and did NOT get that same feeling, I felt every single bump and we seriously disappointed. Is the XKR ride better than the XK8?

Was it just the car, the year? I am actually considering between a 2002 and 2009 maybe. So are these years a little better on the road or after 89 did they lose that feeling? I was also looking at an extremely nice 2004 at the dealer but another guy came In right after me, looked at it and bought it before I got the chance to even drive it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Terri,
We’re talking two totally different suspension systems and wheel base. I’ve got a 2001 XK8 suspension restored XK8 Performance
edition. With the touch of a “S” button my suspension hardens up and lowers itself, changes the electronic fuel injection and you’re in
warp drive, at the wheel of a slot car. My wife said to get something comfortable for the two of us, has a good sized luggage compartment and a place comfortable for our 20 pound dog. This does that and still has room for the cooler, and, two folding chairs with umbrellas. It took the 2016 “Best in class” for North America-NW. A lot more affordable than the XJS. Being newer, the parts are far more easy to get and work on by a local Jag mechanic or a Dealer shop. But I wouldn’t mind having an additional XJS and a Mk2 3.8 Saloon in very fine condition. 2001 XK8 and newer have the much improved engine, a definite must.
Bob

I have a 1989 XJRS I finished total restoration about 3 years ago and a 2000 XKR and when it’s time for a run it’s a toss up as to which I take. They have their differences but they both handle like they are on tracks, ride is very similar although the XKR has 20 inch wheels it is a little firmer but certainly not harsh.

I am curious as to what you have there Bob.
Since the XK8 was originally based on the XJS platform the wheelbase difference in standard form is only around 3mm and the “S” button is normally only gearbox related.

Would it be the tyres? Wider footprint and smaller wall height?

You’re right to a point. All XK8’s have a “S” button, the performance edition has more functions. The tires are sized with less wide in the front and wider in back, and are directional.
It also seems not as wide a body when I compared it to a XJS at a concours recently.

I have a 99 xk8 and an 89 xjs both coupes. The xk8 is mh daily driver as it is a little less temperamental I suppose you can say. The overall ride quality is better with the xjs as far as how it dampens the road bumps but better on efficiency with fuel obviously with the maintenance and fuel on the xk8. If I had to choose one or the other it would be…sorry, That’s like asking which one of your kids you love more.

1 Like

Alright. So I went test driving the XK, expecting it to be the same as the XK8 that I drove a little bit ago, and they were night and day. I think it would be safe to say there was something wrong with that XK8! So, I left as the new owner of an 09 XK, liquid silver, convertible.

No, it isn’t quite as floating on a cloud like the XJS was, but a damn sight better than that XK8 I drove. I was going to look for an XKR, but the supercharge wasn’t a big deal to me. I don’t do a ton of highway driving so am not going to use it anything serious anyways. This one gets up and goes plenty for me!

Color me happy!

1 Like

Congrats on the new car. You are happiest when the car fits the mission. I have a 98 XK8 that I’m very happy with. It will fit two bags of golf clubs in the trunk plus a weekend’s worth of flat luggage, making it a good grand tourer. It would never make a good ski car, so that is why I have the X Type.

My trunk is very small, taken up by the convertible top. There is no way two golf bags and a carry on bag would fit. That’s ok, it fits my tote bag that I fill up to take to the boat, so it works!

Different cars for different missions. When I was looking for my XK8, the idea I had in mind was driving to the golf club, with a friend and with the top down. Alternately; taking a sweet young thing on a long weekend golf trip. I also wanted a Jag that was reminiscent of the E Type and, that I could take to car shows. The XK8 has worked well for both missions. The golf mission was so important, that I made sure clubs would fit in the trunk before making an offer.

What the XK8 wasn’t going to work for was skiing, hence the X Type. The X Type is a great ski car. AWD for winter, mountain roads. I have ice rated radials on rims for winter plus four season’s on rims for summer and shoulder seasons. The roof has built in attachment points for hard mounting a rack. I got the roof rack from Jaguar parts and the ski rack clamps from Thule. Thule makes the racks for Jaguar, but they don’t sell them. You can mount any of the Thule systems on the Jag rack. Because Thule builds them, they can all be keyed the same. The X Type also has a large trunk; suitable for winter road trips.

All in all, two great cars for two different missions. Both get great gas millage.

‘35/‘36 Auburn Speedsters had a golf bag door.

:yum::yum:

This is a replica, but you can see the door, just aft of the passenger door

https://goo.gl/images/9LJWBv

I’ve seen a real one in one of the museums I visit. I doubt if you could get one of the bags we use nowadays through the hatch, let alone two.

I use my 99 xk8 as a daily driver and the xjs as our travel/towing vehicle for long distances(Many mods). I think part of the xjs charm is the heaviness to it that helps dampen everything much better all around. And around town, the xk8 is quite nimble and easy to maintain.