Forum Member help - Speedometers

A fellow Forum member inquired about a listing for her E-type speedometer. Going through all Series parts manual produced some data but more is needed. I also have a Smiths Industries Ltd, Motor Accessory Division Equipment Schedule for XJ25 ‘E’ Type 12 cylinder cars. Discrepancies exist from that equipment schedule listing and actual Smiths speedometer numbers!
I need Forum member help to verify that data. There are many irregularities that need to be resolved and, hopefully, with member help the database will be more accurate.
What’s needed:

1. Baseline info: Year/Series of car
  2. Auto or Standard transmission and differential ration (if known)
  3. LHD or RHD
  4. Data printed on the speedometer face below the trip odometer (e.g. SN 6332/01
    Please insure all letters present are relayed. Also to the right is a “Turns per Mile/Kilometer” number (e.g. 1213)
  5. Has the speedometer been rebuilt/altered to change differential ratio.
    A posted picture, angled to show the above information would also be most helpful.
    All Series E-type information is sought. Your help will benefit the whole group of enthusiast.

Happy Trails,

Dick

1 Like

Original unit from a 69 S2 with a 3.54 diff:

NOS unit for a 3.07 diff:

Original unit in a 71 S2 with a 3.54 diff:

Thanks Geo. Great pictures BUT can you supply the SN # for each plus the turns per mile number. They all look the same but the SN # tells the story!

Happy Trails,

Dick

Craig,
Perfect. Your car was originally exported to Italy, The SN number and Km/h marking all agree with the S1 parts manual. Totally verified.
Thank you so much for the photo’s and data. One down, many, many to go.

Have a great week and enjoy,

Dick

My car is a LH drive 1.5 FHC built Feb 19 1968 with 4 speed and 3:54 rear axle as far as I know. It is a USA car first sold in CA. It says s/n 6332/00 and 1312 on the face. It was not working when I bought the car in 2000 so I sent it to Palo Alto Speedometer for repair but no alterations I am aware of.

David
68 E-type FHC

Hi David,
Thank you for taking the time to furnish your car/speedo data. Your information is just what I was searching for. It does not correspond to the Jaguar parts book. For your Series 1.5/4/2 liter car with a 3.54:1 differential, Standard transmission, speedometer in MPH, a 6332/03A is what’s listed in the Official Jaguar parts book. The parts book lists 6332/00A / MPH for a 3.31:1 ratio differential. Have you ever checked your indicated speed against another instrument (GPS, etc.)? The only other consideration is Palo Alto Speedometer modified the speedometer to match the 3.54:1 rear end. Best guess?
Are you running 6.40 x 15 tires or 185 x 15’s?
Again, thanks for your most valuable input.

Dick

I thought I had read here before that the 1312 number indicated that it was for a 3:54 rear axle ? I have not ever checked it against anything. I did not direct Palo Alto to do any mods and I do not think the subject of rear axle ratio ever came up when I had it in for repair. I have always assumed it was a 3:54 but besides the speedometer have not tried to look at any markings etc on the pumpkin in many years. I am running on 205/70/15 tires.

David
68 E-type FHC

I think we have some dyslexia-like issues here - I made the same mistake. There are two series of Smith’s Speedos with Serial Numbers 6332/xx and 6322/xx

No. The parts book lists 6322/00A as MPH for 3.31:1 ration diff

If David’s Speedo SN is really 6332/00 then it’s a different part.

Geo’s 1312 speedo (zoom on his photo to read the numbers) is also a 6332 number - 6332/01A in his case, whereas all the Serial Numbers listed in the S1 4.2 Parts list are 6322 numbers.

The Smith’s web site (https://www.smiths-instruments.co.uk/jaguar/e-type) lists some part numbers for various S1 E-Type speedos but I’ve been unable to make any rhyme or reason to the numbering system…

David… That’s something I’ll definitely look into. I’ll go back and re-check all the info Jaguar produced (Parts Books) noting EXACT numbers. That would explain some questions I’ve already uncovered. The new “Smiths” owners don’t have any of the old parts schedules supplied to Jaguar so very little data to draw from.
Thanks for the heads-up on such a simple but critical error!

Happy Trails,

Dick

David. You win the Eagle Eye award!!! Where were you when I was overlooking the same mistake in my first MS Basic course??? Ha Ha
Reviewed all the Series parts books. Data is clear for S1 and S1.5 cars. Speedometers were numbered SN**6322/**xx.
Detailed Speedometer data for S2 and S3 is just not there. Having to rely on actual, installed speedometers to try and make some sense of it all. Also have a Smiths Equipment Schedule for XJ25 (E-type V12) that clearly states the full number(s)/letters. Seems all S2 and S3’s were 6332 numbered, some having a 2 digit suffix while others had a 2 digit plus 2 letter suffix!
THEN one crops up that defies all understanding, logic and printed information. An E-type speedometer surfaced with SN6322/29!

Does not show up on S1 or S1.5 parts listings! Furthermore, I have a listing, can’t recall where it came from, but it has a lot more “Unlisted” speedometer numbers!!! Serious confusion indeed…
Thanks for your Eagle eye correction. Will try to do better… Ha Ha

Cheers,

Dick

That one, together with a -48 and -49 appear in the document I posted a link to in my earlier reply. Just click on the speedo dial and a list of variants pops up. There doesn’t appear to be any method to the madness of the numbering system, but someone probably knows. A clue to the letter suffix is in the same document where two speedos of identical numbers except for the presence or absence of an “A” suffix are differentiated by the thread of the cable attachment (5/8 vs M12). Good luck in your efforts to understand this!

The speedometer on my '69 with 3.54 rear was 6332/01A 1312 (original face, switched guts). I’m surprised to hear that any of them had metric threads. The British thread was either BSB or BSC 1/2, damned if I can distinguish between them. Either British thread has 26 tpi and an effective diameter of about .46-.47", so metric 12x1, BSB 1/2 and BSC 1/2 are all nearly compatible. If the ferrule is made of soft brass or aluminum, a little force mates all specs. Plenty to be confused about.

In case I messed up typing anything here is photo of the numbers on my speedometer…

David
68 E-type FHC

Canadian delivery 1968 OTS, 3.54. LHD. Manual. SN 6322/03A 1312

Dick – I would have responded earlier but needed to wait until my gauges were returned from rebuild by West Valley – which explains the mileage showing on the face of the speedo. Actual mileage is indeterminant - speedo quit working with ~12X,XXX showing but that was years ago. I had them reset odometer to zero; they came close.

Copied your basic questionnaire; my responses in bold

1. Baseline info: 1972 Series III V12 OTS UC1S20954 w/ A/C // I don’t have a Heritage Cert (yet) but believe Jag was built in Nov 72
  2. Auto or Standard transmission and differential ration: Standard // 3.54:1
  3. LHD or RHD: LHD
  4. Data printed on the speedometer face below the trip odometer: SN-6332/01A 1312 also see attached photo to eliminate any aphasia/juxta-positioning /dyslexia :stuck_out_tongue:
  5. Has the speedometer been rebuilt/altered to change differential ratio. rebuilt = yes but only to ensure proper functioning at end of restoration after having sat for 32 years with non-functioning speedo – but NO reference any change to differential ratio
    A posted picture, angled to show the above information would also be most helpful. Done – as explained above

Thanks Craig. Just what I needed.

USA delivery 1968 OTS, 3.54. LHD. Manual. SN 6332/01 1312

The axle ratio is important, but I can tell that yours is 3.54.

I’m going to hazard a guess here and say that 6322 vs 6332 is blue vs green bulb filters. Can we get that info,too?

I’m beginning to think that the suffix refers to an assembly line or maybe it’s inspected by no 01? There are too many suffixes for essentially the same part. There are minor differences in mechanism that can only be determined on tear down, but these would have occurred in time sequence, as a brass component evolved to a plastic substitute. These suffixes seem almost random.

I find it hard to believe that the letter suffix refers to ferrule thread. It’s inconceivable to me that Jaguar would have mixed thread standards for the same part, on the same assembly line, on the same model of car. I think that confusion arises from the three standards being hard to differentiate.

My 6332 has green bulb filters.