Fosseway Dynator installed in S1 3.8

My old Generator was, IMHO, on it’s last legs, and while this is a drivers car not a show car, I didn’t want to lose the look of the old dynamo. Fosseway to the rescue. I just finished install of their Dynator. They put a Denso alternator into the casing of a dynamo and the look is pretty great. The wiring is easy (car is converted to negative ground). You don’t have to remove the big voltage regulator (the dynator has a built in regulator), just move a wire or two around, so the look is fairly original…not to you guys, but to the average person who know absolutely nothing about these cars. I ran a 6-gauge wire from the + terminal on the Dynator to the battery connector. Piece of cake. My old dynamo was on a later engine block bracket, so I switched to an earlier version which has the “alternator” holes up a bit higher. Allowed me to use a 1050mm double groove belt which allows for great tension from the idler pulley without being too close to anything else. My previous mount had that pulley way too close to the radiator hose. Now it’s all cleaned up and much better clearance all around.

It’s pretty nice to be able to use the headlights, big radiator fan, heater fan, and anything else without drawing down the battery or having the headlights dim themselves at engine idle speed. The Dynator puts out about 50amps at the upper end…that’s why I used 6-gauge wire…and it works flawlessly (oops…that means it will fall off the car overnight, right?).

Anyway, if you are looking for a period correct look with quite a bit of steady state amps, you could do much worse than the Fosseway Dynator. And, as always, Simon at Fosseway is a great guy to work with. He was quick to answer questions and provide some advise and confirming some wiring changes I wanted to make. And he shipped me a new part when I needed it without question. Great little company.

Photos attached. Be gentle. This car has been horribly mistreated by previous owners. People “fixed” things in often the worst way possible and she suffers from lots of little issues that I’m slowly dealing with. But at least electrical power is fixed for now.

1 Like

Looks good. Nicely aligned belt pulleys. I may end up doing this one day. Keep us posted. Some people here I believe, have discussed higher than desirable failure rates with Dynators, so if your old dynamo still works you might want to box it up and carry it if you’re going on a tour.

Thanks. After a ton of prep work and measuring and remeasuring and stacking of spacers, etc., it all worked out pretty well. The final install was actually pretty easy.