Found Jaguar sports engines mysterious

On the frame car I have DR 1006?

Marco

Marco ,your block (C22250 ), is a 3.8 block.
perhaps the block shown in the photo has been defaced to make it look
to be a 3.4. C22250 is a block casting number, not a engine number.
This type block is used in late 3.8 MK2, S Types, and MK10,
probably late 3.8 E type also.
Peter B.

Don’t the 3.4 blocks have “3 1/2 LITRE” embossed in the casting rather than “3.4”. My XK140 engine certainly does (sorry for the poor quality photo):
Capture
Are all 3.4’s like this? If so, the block in question is clearly “unusual” to say the least…

-David

Thank you so much for the quick response.
Now everything is clear for the engine mounted on the Lister and on the Jaguar.
The only thing that I have yet to find out is why this jaguar has a frame number DR 1006 which is not in any number XK, or E.

Thanks
Marco

You are correct David. I suspect the block in question has been
“modified” to comply with race regs!
It would be interesting to know what car this is?
I note a solid rear axle!
Peter B

That has been jiggered with: looks like a bad coverup, of a fraud.

The serial number should be about here under that ground cable.
engine%20serial%20number

I began my engineering career in a steel foundry, counting the scrap castings. The 8 in the 3.8 LITRE looks like an example of what we in the foundry industry used to call “broken mold”. The wet sand around the 8 stuck to the pattern as the cope or drag was pulled off. It would have been considered a minor defect and not enough to scrap the casting. The casting in sand of numbers and letters is tricky and the main reason they are so large; you generally don’t often see tiny cast lettering on iron parts.

Back when shop was taught in junior high—remember?— one of my favorite classes was metal shop.

I LOVED aluminum casting, and learned quickly not to have too wet or too dry of sand!

I still threaten to make myself a casting set-up…

Rob if you mean engine number, later 4.2 yes!
not the earlier engines.
Peter B.

Yes, he’s already said it is not by the oil filter so this is the only other place I thought it could be. I don’t know when the last 3.8 engine was made, but according to Clausager they built the last 3.8S saloon in 1968.
The other possibility is its a crate block that never got a normal serial number.

Fair comment Rob ,but!, there is the possibility the engine number
has been erased. For Marco, until he posts more details/photos,
it should be a case of “buyer beware” or some Latin equivalent.
Peter B.