Found Part Identification

69 Coupe

Good Day! Working long, enjoyable hours putting my engine back together. While waiting for a gasket to arrive, I am rebuilding my 2 Stromberg 175’s. After cleaning all screws, etc on my wire wheel, I discovered the item in the pic sitting on top of my saw horse that hold my wire brush, I don’t think its from the carbs??

Anyone recognize this??

Mark

Looks very similar to adjuster in bypass valve of Strombergs?

Glenn

I agree. That was my thought too.

You are right! I haven’t taken these apart in 37 years! I removed the springs when I cleaned them, but didn’t turn upside down and look. Thank you both.

Mark

Hi Mark,
Before getting too happy do you have the rebuild kit for the bypass valve? Those parts don’t come in the carb overhaul kits. Additionally, do you have the little spring that also fits inside the bypass valve? After extensive research on this component I’ve come to the conclusion - “just replace”! New ones from Burlen Fuel Systems are the most cost effective alternative. After building a calibration test set to service the bypass valve I concluded the spring, after years of being heated, won’t hold a set value. Haven’t found a suitable replacement spring. It can cause a lot of problems if you try to overhaul. Best replace and be done with it!

Happy Motoring,

Dick

'74 OTS
'99 XJR
1947 Stinson 108-1 “Voyager”

“Don’t let the Old Man In”…

Actually, I have 4 Strombergs. The 2 originals that came with my 69 Coupe and 2 that came with the 73 block that’s I am rebuilding now. Other than one additional vacuum port on the '73 front carb, both rear and front carbs are identical. So, in other words, I have 2 of everything. When I got the '73 block, it was 18 months old and had 14K miles on it. Since it’s been 34 years, I have to clean the carbs, but they are in very good condition. I knew my jag real well when it was on the road, but after all this time, I’ve had to refresh my memory on all the little things. I could have rebuilt the carbs in my sleep when I was 28! Now I have to read the manual, but it’s coming back, little by little…

Mark