Frame Rails On or Off for Paint?

No one can answer about the washers?

None of the frame bolts have washers. Some people have added them in an effort to protect new paint, but it doesn’t really help.

Thank you Erica for clarification. I am also currently assembling frame rails that are new and painted off the car.

Sure, don’t get too frustrated when you see the paint mushroom around the head. It’s an inevitability unfortunately. Just try holding the head static and only rotate the nut to minimize it.

The linked pdf by Steve Kemp has proven invaluable to all of us over the years.

subframe bolt diagram-Steve Kemp.pdf (183.6 KB)

I reinstalled my freshly painted frame rails last year. I do not like the idea of grinding bolts into fresh painted surfaces so I placed close fitting flat washers (actually genuine Jaguar washers😁) on the bolts with a slight smear of silicone sealant on the surface that would contact the flange. The silicone provided a slippery surface that the washer could rotate on and not damage the paint. It worked very well. Wipe off the squeeze out before it dries.

1 Like

Did the paint not mushroom around the washers? I didn’t use them, but some people who did didn’t think it bought them much. I don’t see any harm to using them really. It will be what it will be.

No paint mushrooming because there is no grinding as the washer rotates on the paint. The silicone provides a smooth slick surface for the washer to slide on. Try it. You’ll like it!