Freeing up disc brake pistons

Hello everyone,

I’m dismantling my brake calipers for refurbishing and I’m having a heck of a time getting the pistons out. I’ve been prying all the way around one and after an hour i moved it about 1/8”.
Does anybody have any ideas?

Solo out.

I do all mine the same way, split the calipers, block one port with the bleeder (and ball),
connect the other port to (I use) the front driver side brake hose.

place a g-clamp loosely to stop the piston flying right out

Use the brake pedal, and the cars hydraulics will push the piston out, limited by g-clamp

You should not need engine powered booster assist, but it can be employed

if the piston is jammed in the caliper, I hammer them back in, then do the above

I have got ones out that were unused for many years this way

an assistant is useful, but not needed

Tap a flare nut to take a grease zerk, fit that to one port. Plug all the other ports, filling the caliper with water (using a syringe) before plugging the last port. Use a clamp and a block to restrain all but one piston. Once you’ve got that piston to move, rearrange your clamps to another piston. Continue until your pistons are far enough out that you can remove them.

If a single piston comes right out you can block off that cylinder with a bit of wood and some rubber clamped to the face.

I use two ways , connect a foot pump to the line in , if that don’t work , I use a motorbike clutch to pump them out !

s-l500%5B9%5D

Don’t pry, Solo - rotate…

With part of the piston accessible; water pump pliers and solvent - to get the thing started.

The main problem with the calipers out of the car is anchor something for leverage. Out of the car; fitting a Zerk to the vent - and use a grease gun I another option. With the pistons really corroded to the caliper - considerable force is required to get the piston moving…

Hindsight; it’s much better to ensure the pistons are movable before removing the calipers from the car…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 95 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Wow - thanks for the help, gang. My callipers are removed and on my bench so I have limited options but I will try a few to see which works best.

Solo out.

I ended up having a buddy of mine get them out for me. Since then, I’m having our company machinist make me new ones and I’ve painted my calipers. Going to start the front suspension reassembly shortly…