Front and rear dampers

On my '69 S2 OTS if I change the front dampers should I also change the rears. if changing rear dampers should you change the coil springs?

Not necessarily, if they are in good shape keep them.

Same answer. Especially if they are original and you like the ride height and “stance”.
Replacement ones often increase ride height.

I did all six. New shocks work better than 50 year old shocks. I kept the original springs in the rear, though. Replacing the rears can be tricky. You need a good spring compressor to do the job safely.

1 Like

Yes, that is my experience. The four springs are small diameter, tight coil units. It can be difficult and unsafe to use a standard spring compressor (made for bigger coils) as the “reach” over the coil is compromised. There are other methods - using two old brake discs and continuous thread, for example. I recall a YouTube video about same. Paul

Were the original shocks gas shocks? Replacing a non-gas shock with a gas shock will increase the ride height. Replacing a dead gas shock with a new gas shock will increase the ride height.

Really? I would have thought that the shock absorbers act to absorb shock; ie they control spring oscillation. The spring rate controls the height.

If you put adjustable shock absorbers on your car it firms the ride but doesn’t change the ride height.

Currently none of the usuals sell correctly rated replacement springs for E Types, with the result that rear ride height is incorrect.

Replacing the shock absorbers but retaining the original rear springs maintains the ride height and is the recommended path.

1 Like

Get six new shocks. Old shocks make a car ride like an old car. Keep the coil springs unless they sag.

Gas charged shock are charged at 100-150 psi according to Monroe. With a half inch rod the resulting force will be about 30 lbs. If the coil spring rate is 275 lb per inch than this force will raise the spring by 0.1 in. Given the lever ratio of the rear control arms this will raise the rear of the car less than 0.2 in. Small but significant.

Koni’s might be the only gas charge replacement shock. The originals, I don’t think were gas charged. But I could be wrong, in which case, I will find out soon enough

1 Like

Their primary mission is to dampen suspension travel, but once you have gas pressure inside, the shock itself exerts some force to try to extend – which lifts the car a little bit. If the car is designed for gas shocks, the springs are designed accordingly. If the shocks go bad and lose their gas charge, the car will ride lower than intended – but the shocks may still “pass” a fender bounce test, since as long as they still have oil in them they will provide some damping.

Gas shocks have been standard equipment in pretty much all cars on the road for decades, even in such mundane vehicles as Honda Civics, yet for some reason people still haven’t gotten the memo that you can’t confirm their condition by just bouncing the fender.