Front axle for 2.5 SS 100

Hello,

the front axle of my 2.5l 1937 SS 100 is bent and also would need some welding. it is almost impossible to rebuild.
Does anybody know where to get a replacement?
any help is appreciated.

Greetings form Germany,

Guenter

Guenter
A genuine front axle from an SS100 would be a 'collectors item"and very expensive . The identical item from a MK IV ,much less.
But firstly, beam axles can be straightened and the correct angles are shown in the MK IV workshop manual. And any axle when dis assembled should be check, because there’s a good chance someone in the past has kerbed it , or tied a tow rope to it.
But then , why does it need welding?
If it’s because the axle eyes are bell mouthed , there are other solutions
And if it’s had a traumatic incident, what are the stub axles and steering arms like?
The steering arms are different to a Mk IV
And the stub axles are prone to cracking at the best of times
One would also need to be careful if thinking a standard replacement king pis set will work

Can you describe what the problems with it are?

Hi Ed,

The axle is somewhat twisted. The angles are way off the recommended angles in the workshop manual. And there is a crack on the lower right side where it is bend upwards. And the axle eyes are worn out badly. I would need an oversized king pin.
My thinking was it would be easier to get a replacement MK IV axle, have it refurbished and later on if possible have my own ale repaired.

Guenter

Cuenter

I wouldn’t be keen on welding it if cracked where you describe
Most axle eyes will be worn out , Jaguar even in the original handbook mentioned over sized king pins, so you normally have to make over size pins. And usually the holes are worn front and rearwads from the braking action [ or stretched]. We find that if a qualified welded MIG up the ends on the axle fr and rear of the eyeson theoutside., it will shrink the eye in a little. and have more metal where needed Then you can have the axles straightened to the correct alignment { We have a place here that does truck axles as they us d beam axles for much longer than cars did. and then have the eyes; milled out true to the minimum needed to get the holes true . Then make new king pins You may need the have the thrust bearing ground out the ID , if you need to take too much off.
There is no quick and easy fix , But ther e are proper good fixes.
For this very reason [ axle eyes stretching , on my blown car I have run cables back from the top of the king pin to a bracket on the chassis rail . Takes the braking load off the axle eye and also keeps the front end geometry correct under braking . It is a eye opener to see what the axle does when you have cycle guards.

Hi Ed,

you are of great help as usual. Thank you. This will be my winter project. (During Australian summer :slight_smile: )

Greetings from Germany,

Günter

which 2.5 litre SS do you have
terry
Australia
2.5l 1937 SS 100