Front Brake Shimming Resolved

Never Mind. Mechanic error (me). The bearings were not fully seated. I reseated them on my arbor press and can now shim them.

I am assembling the front suspension on my '65 now. The front right rotor is not centered on the caliper. Inside clearance is ~.200" and the outside clearance is ~.060". (Adding shims moves the caliper inboard and will make the problem worse.) With pistons retracted nothing is dragging. In my bag of parts for that assembly I don’t have any shims so I don’t think there were any there originally.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Leave it alone since it is not dragging? I am thinking this is my best option now. If is is a problem when I get the car together I will deal with it then as is is not that hard to take apart.

I have a mill and could take some off the caliper to get it more central? Any other suggestions?

The other side took .010" in shims, top and bottom, to get it centered.

thanks,
Dave Christensen
'65 OTS - in pieces

Something looks really wrong here to have that much variance. 10 or 20 thou maybe but not over .1". Are these all original parts that came off the car or are some aftermarket? Are you sure you have fully seated the inboard bearing race?

The bearings were not fully seated. I seated them fully and it required .010" shims, top and bottom, just like the other side.

thanks,
Dave Christensen

Hi David I have amended the heading for you