Front Brakes Grabbing XK-120 - More

1. Well I thought I knew what I was doing. When a brake lining is saturated, does it make the car pull toward the soaked lining, or away from it? i.e. Does a saturated lining grab, or fail to grab? The car was pulling to the right but the left brakes were saturated, not the right!!

2. The leaking wheel cylinder had debris in it. Possible rust flakes? When we bleed/flush the brake fluid, we do clean out the lines, but, with the way the bleeder screws are located, we do not flush the cylinder, hence a dirty, leaking brake cylinder!!

Soaked brake linings equal lubrication hence lack of friction therefore NO braking effort on that side of the car resulting in ‘grabbing brakes’ basically the non soaked side is actually working correctly and trying to slow the car down.

Just a quick FYI. My front brakes were pulling because one of the self-adjusters was frozen. The little pads had cemented themselves to the arm, so the arm could not move/self-adjust hence it then could not adjust the shoes. A clean-up freed them up and now no more pulling. Just something to check.

Yes, Robin must be right. I would have thought that replacement of the linings once soaked was essential, not matter how new or how they were cleaned. I think it was a lesson I learned about 40 years ago, but the memory is a little dim …