Front end allignment

I’ve have owned my 86 xj6 for 17 years now. I have never had a front end alignment done on it. on these cars is it just a 2 way alignment ?

toe-in via tie rods is all they usually do

caster has big shims between upper ball joint and A-arm

camber has small shims between upper A-arm and inner attachment point

the last 2 may have been mucked up due to front-end work in the past, if the shims are not replaced correctly

Correct. I now do my own - with a little science and some trial and error. They will say that they have done an alignment - but they don’t have the shims! One place I did find did a proper job (my shims) but “lost” (kept) the extras. Paul

With a wheel alignment all specs are checked/measured…and then corrected as needed. Sometimes only toe-in needs adjusting. Other times all settings need adjusting.

The camber shims used by Jaguar are a bit unique but some shops will have something close enough to work properly, in my experience.

The caster shims are very specific but, in a perfect word, you’d never need to buy any because the idea is not to add or remove caster shims but to simply swap them to the forward or aft position as needed…leaving the overall shim count the same. But…I’m sure many alignment shops won’t realize this if they’re not familiar with Jags.

Cheers
DD

ask the shop if they are familiar with old Jags, can check all 3 measurements, and give you a printout,
which is a good baseline, if the shop cant match those requirements, good idea to look elsewhere.

personally dont think I can measure it close enough, I think lasers are used

just rebuilt IFS (and other major work) will take it down to alignment shop shortly, they can tell how close my home alignment is

In addition to the good advice already given; caster angle require steering wheel inputs to specific angles. And, if not done - the rear adjustment should be checked as weel, but there are no adjustments to correct abnormal readings…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I am not about to take issue with all or any of the above. Good advice beyond question.

But, I will offer the following DIY points:

1. A tape measure applied between the center of a rear wheel to the center of a front. Record or remember the number. Repeat on the other side. Equal or damn close. If not, something is a amiss.

2. Wioe your had across the tread on the front wheels. No “furry” feel is the ideal. proper wear pattern. Furr one at indicates toe in/out not in spec.

3. Visual inspection. Camber, inflation anomalies can be read in uneven tread wear. And worn shocks and suspension. A subject in it self.

So, what it comes down to is that a DIY can inform one as to whether a pro alignment is necessary or if repairs are needed and money a waste.

Carl

Thanks for all the input gentlemen ! I will let you know what happens