Front Fenders 1979 XL12L

I need to replace the right front fender on my 1979 XJ12L. Due to extensive rust. I have located a non running 1982 XJ6 with good front fenders. The fenders appear to be interchangeable but, I am hoping someone can give me a diffinative answer before I buy the donor XJ and drag it home only to find the fenders won’t fit. Thanks for the info !

You can buy lots of fiberglass panels in the UK. Jus’ sayin’. Those poor old XJ12 road springs and bushings need all help they can get.

Keith,
Jaguar introduced the Series III in 1979. Is your car a Series II or a Series III?

Paul

If it’s an ‘L’ I assume it’s a SII. If you have the space, sure, but I’m sure you can find a matching panel for a reasonable price and not have the shell around. Depends on what else you need.

David

Parts of it looks like a Series II. The front bumper though looks like a series III which has the turn signals mounted in the bumper rather than on the fenders. The door handles look like a series II. So I’m pretty puzzled. The front headlights are all the same size which it would indicate a series II while in the series III the outer headlights are bigger than the inner headlights

David, I have looked around in my area for a fender Sll some available all in same shape as mine. I ran across the 1982 car .Fenders in good shape. Appear to be the same as on my vehicle. Sure there might be other parts on the donor that I might use. I’m just confused as to what the difference could be between Sll and Slll fenders when their appearance is the same. Thanks Keith

Welcome on board, Keith! But transition years are a bit of pain…

There were some body changes between the S2 and S3, though mainly concerned with a raised roof line on the latter (I ‘think’). But whether the fenders were involved is not clear…

Since Jaguar did not go for unnecessary changes; odds are the 82 fender will fit the 79 - but it is not gospel…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Keith,

the door handles are a giveaway: your car is SII and SII fenders are different from SIII fenders in that the shape and contour of the lower openings is different and SIII fenders have a hole for a side indicator.
This is a SIII fender:

And this is a SII fender

Now, as regards bumper and indicator your cars seems to have been “upgraded” before, who knows whether ex-factory in the change year, on initiative of a wannabe-SIII owner or by someone who just used what was at hands.

As Frank wrote, SII and III fenders interchange as per their mountings, but of course they should fit with the indicators and the bumper - and finally with the other one if you only replace one of them :slight_smile:

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)