Front hub water shields

Am rebuilding my front uprights/hubs, non ABS 1988.
Jaguar Classic parts list 2 (?) water shields between the hub and upright, on the stub axle.
I can only find one - a round donut with “U” cross section.
Going outboard, the next item is the grease seal in the hub, next to the bearing.

Can anyone help explain this??

Hi,
I have not had to do this job myself, so I don’t have first hand knowledge- but I took this picture from a twenty year old paper catalog . It seems to show the parts you are interested in- but no part numbers, unfortunately. It looks like your supplier is telling the truth, to me.

Hello David

Many thanks for taking the time to write - much appreciated.

I have discovered what is the situation, after properly cleaning the hub.

The water shield, inboard of item 7 in your diagram, is a sheet metal ring pressed onto a machined rebate on the back end of the hub itself.

Once cleaned, I could see the difference between the casting of the hub, and the smooth steel ring.

Bottom line, I do not need to buy/replace it for the rebuild.

Thanks again

RomantheWelshman!

I have done this more times than I care to admit. If the “water shield” which isn’t numbered and is closest to the spindle or axle shaft in the above diagram is what you’re referring to, unless its damaged, I wouldn’t take it off. It’s been my experience that the water shield doesn’t relinquish its position easily, it is usually rusted in place.
I’ve had mixed results trying to get the shield off with minimal damage. Prying and hammering with a drift will damage the shield - it’s just sheet metal.

I’ve had to resort to heat and gingerly tapping the shield loose with a wood or brass drift. which the shield still comes off a bit mall formed, but not to the point I can’t tappy tap tap it back into shape. If the shield is bent badly and left in place, then it may rub against the brake backing plate or the collar on the axle shaft. If the water shield is in good shape, then I’d leave it alone and drive the rear bearing and seal out from the front side of the hub. The bearing and seal should just pop out with a blunt drift and a hammer.
I usually put the hub on a couple pieces of wood to keep it off the bench while removing the bearing and rear seal.
Hope this helps,
Mark

Hello Mark

Great info - thanks.

See below for my reply to David.

I’ll not be removing them as both are rust free and undamaged.

My question arose when I looked at the parts list and from the diagram, it looked like it was located inboard of the grease seal.

Since I did not have any loose bits like it I started to “worry”!

Roman