Front MKII side or signal light

Does the rubber boot on the front of a MKII side or signal lite go on the outside or inside of the fender? I do not remember. I do not like it on the outside. Too much rubber showing and I am sure wax and buffing compound will get on the rubber and be hard to get off.
War Eagle

It goes on the outside, seals and prevents the light body from rubbing against the body.

Thanks Killer, I may make a thin rubber gasket out of roofing rubber and put that hunk of rubber boot inside the fender well.
War Eagle

OH, if I do that I think I shall have to caulk the boot to the fender well to keep water from getting between the fender and the boot.

There is no need to add more rubber , but there is a need to add waxoil or the like , all around the metal part , and too the rubber , before fixing it , then again add a little too the 3 screws on the front , then all around the rubber on the inside of the wing , to make sure its well covered and water tight .s-l1600 (27)

Thanks Ian, I shall use your recommendation to use waxoil.
Also, after thinking about the issue in more depth, I shall install the rubber boot flange on the outside of the wing rather than the inside, wheel side. I do not like the thick rubber look but that is apparently the way the car came from the factory.
Thanks again for the help guys!
War Eagle

Well it’s your car , if you don’t like something change it , can always be changed back ,
Not 100% sure , but I think the Land rover use the same metal part , if this is the case , the Land Rover rubber is a little diffrent , and thinner , worth a thought !