Front NDV vent window rattle

Any tips on how to stop the latching lever on the inside of the front vent windows from rattling? I see how there is a bolt going through the glass. a fiber washer and secured with a nut on a shaft that has the lever affixed with a pin. Tightening the nut will not stop the rattling so there must be another trick. I do not see another fiber washer on the inside of the glass between the lever and the glass in my spare parts catalogue.

We did install new rubber seals which does not affect these parts. Now without the wind roar of dried seals I have become aware of this constant rattling only drowned out by serious injections of fuel into the engine

Gerard

it has a fat little spring that makes it tight, so it shouldnt rattle, one of mine got loose once and a part was missing or loose, but I cant remember what

No fiber washer on the outside of my S-Type:

The catches are often loose, are yours rattling with the NDV open, or closed? Perhaps some thick grease in where the spring is, and stretching the spring a bit, but if the keys on your button/pin are toast then it may not help:

Or as Tony says, it might be the ratchet mech at the bottom isn’t tensioned enough, or you got the pinned detent in upside down when you put it back together (The teeth go down to detent in the bronze bit).

See these pictures to note that the culprit is the lever which latches the window shut. I am sure the piece inside the door is correct as that was well sorted and lubed when we did the rubber seals around the vent windows.( a delightful job I might
add!!)

I could note get them to load and have requested the assistance of Andrew. Thanks.

Gerard

@The_Jag_Man: Your files were too large. Maximum attachment size is 3072 KB. To resize pics on my Windows laptop I select them in Windows Explorer, then mail them to myself. A popup asks if you want to resize the photos - select a size. Outlook then creates a mail with the pics as an attachment. There you can select the now resized photos and save them somewhere.

Just on a related note…as some may be aware, Photobucket, a MAJOR pic hosting site, has imposed a fee to embed links of $400pa, which no-one wants to pay, which may mean dead links for a lot of photos in the archives…this happened before with Imageshack…it certainly has stuffed a few other forums I look at

To get around any such future events, I shrink my pics into a folder called “upload”, from where they can be easily re-uploaded…beware NEVER trust anything to a Cloud Service

I had a look. Very, very few of the links here on JL point to photobucket. Some of the other forums are having trouble with photobucket.

The benefit of using a photo hosting site is that JL doesn’t end up paying for the storage, the downside is that if the hosting site changes, or you move to another then any historical links will be dead.

I know I am are well off-topic now, but maybe thats one way to get users of JL to contribute, a nominal fee for for the right to post pics, storage probably goes a long way these days, its a cheap & easy way to get a diagnosis , post some good pics

I used photobucket, so I dont know whats happened to mine on JL archives, but on other forums, i can see my pics, but others cannot, (and vice versa) and the forum is defaced with extortions for money whilst the links remain embedded

photobucket will likely go broke imo, so paying $400 doesnt seem prudent

JL direct upload is much better…in the case of photobucket etc, I believe they may even own the commercial rights to your images

back on the topic, the lever must be under spring tension, so if the spring is missing, weak or broken, it wont be, also the dog clutch can get worn down or chewed, meaning excessive movement…I fixed mine by canibalsing a spare…looked at it today

Hopefully this show the addition of the extra smaller fiber washer to stop the rattling.

Gerard

Here is the short video showing the addition of the “new” retrofitted small fiber washer on the inside of the window to eliminate the rattling of the lever when the vent is open. Don’t forget you have to trim an edge off of the outside fiber washer to make it fit between the chrome surround and the vent window bolt.

Gerard