Front o/s wheel bearing - wire wheels car

Morning all,

Pretty sure wheel bearing front off side (drivers side in the UK) has failed - rotating noise (squeak reflected from buildings as we drive by, slight ‘graunch’, occasional rub felt via steering wheel).

Has come on fairly sudden, perhaps last 100 miles or so, but in my 70,000 miles of ownership do not recall having changed it before - car is at 123,000 miles. I have run through the nonsense of ordering bearing kit including water shields (wire wheels) for both sides.

Question – I am an amateur mechanic of moderate intelligence but limited abilities and facilities - best left to garage or worth having a go? Methinks have it trucked to garage, and whilst they’re at it replace brake fluid and grease the assorted nipples thereabouts.

It’s hard to diagnose a noise for cause and source from a description but you could do a basic check as a start, albeit not conclusive.

Jack up the wheel and check a few things.

Firstly, hold the wheel at the top and bottom and rock it back and forth with a bit of force. If the bearings are adjusted correctly, you should be able to detect a very small amount of movement, almost but not quite, nil. If there is excess movement further inspection is required. It could be just poor adjustment or a failing bearing. This would call for a dismantling. (You should check the side-to-side free play while you are at it to check for wear in steering parts.)

Next, spin the wheel carefully and watch and listen for abnormalities like not running true or any noise. You could turn the wheel with your fingers on the rim to feel for any roughness.

Wire wheels can also make a few noises due to spokes loose or not evenly tensioned. Do the ‘tuning fork’ test around the spokes with something non-metallic. You could remove the wheel and check for anything damaged or misaligned.

Peter

It’s not a difficult job, a bit messy, but very doable for the home mechanic.

If you do as was suggested above, and the bearing seems perfectly fine, consider the center driveline bearing. I had one go bad on my Mk2 last year and it was very hard to localize. The first thing I did was replace a wheel bearing, then the rear brake discs, finally remembered the driveline. At 123K, it might be ready. Mine deteriorated very quickly and was almost seized.

You should be able to do the wheel bearing yourself, but you might like to take it to a mechanic for the driveline if that’s what it turns out to be. Or remove the drive shaft and take it to a driveline shop.

The only tricky bit is getting the old bearing shells out, and getting the new ones in straight and properly seated.