Front Oil Seal Replace 72 XJ6

Folks,

Have had to remove the head and timing cover on my 72 XJ6. It seems like it might be a good time to replace the front oil seal. But, really don’t want to go through the suspension removal to drop the sump. This is the most in depth I’ve ever been into the engine and would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Thanks,
Randy

Hi Randy,
If you have the front timing cover off you can renew the seal.
First remove the damper cone and woodruff key from the slot in the crankshaft.
Now remove the seal ring which is inside the front seal. The front edge of it is very slightly chamfered so you can tap it back initially with a thin chisel, screwdriver or similar.you can now prise the old seal out of the locating groove in the sump. Clean the groove out thoroughly.
Fit the new seal into the groove having applied a very thin film of silicone to the edge. Apply light grease to both the inside of the spacer and the outside.
Irs a good idea to fit a new seal spacer - the later type with an o ring in it.
Fit new woodruff key-C757 and damper cone job done!
Please don’t try to remove the seal before the seal ring ,
as you can do it that way.

The sump must be clear of the seal to replace it, Randy…

With the parts mentioned already removed, it is an appropriate time to access the front seal. But it requires removing more parts - and the sump is difficult to move with the front suspension in place…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks for the advice. This project has me a little “wrenched out”…

Thank you again for the advice. I wanted to clarify to ensure I understand tapping back the seal ring. I assume you mean tap back towards the rear of the car?… I’m asking because there doesn’t seem to be very much clearance before the ring would contact the oil thrower.

I have procured a new seal from SNG Barratt, but it is quite different in appearance; the inner spacer appears to be some type of plastic material.

I apologize if I seem ill-informed. I’m more familiar with American engines and this is my first in-depth work on the Jag. I have the parts and workshop manuals, but their illustrations aren’t always in enough detail for the novice to clearly comprehend.

Thanks for any help,
Randy

I ‘think’ the oil seal was upgraded at one stage, Randy- hence the possible difference…

The dimensions and fit should be more or less identical, Jaguar always endeavoured to make upgrades directly interchangeable. Remember that the seal is ‘clamped’ by the sump and timing cover, not by the crankshaft…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hi Frank
When you refit the sealring you won’t damage the oil thrower as it sits up against the crank timing chain pulley. The seal ring only needs a light tap into place as it’s only full contact with the crank is the internal o ring.lightly oil the crank before refitting the seal ring.