Front seal leak

For my winter project I had the transmission rebuilt, new clutch and resurfaced flywheel , rebuilt drive shaft and starter. While the engine was out I decided to replace the oil pan gasket with a recommended cometic version to stop some rear drips.
Unfortunately now I have a terrible oil leak from the front seal ( it never leaked before).

Is it possible that the extra thickness of the cometic gasket prevents the seal recesses of the oil pan and timing chain cover to properly “hug” the front seal ?
The engine was on a stand ,upside down, so I was able to carefully install the gasket ,place some ultra black on the ends and carefully install the pan and torque down the bolts.

Tranny still makes noise until you press the clutch in …:frowning: .

Thoughts…

Thank you

Mark

So this was an old front seal, and you disturbed the joint on the oil pan side but not the timing cover side?
Yes, I would guess the old seal had over time conformed to the oil pan shape, and in order for it to conform to the oil pan again it would need a dose of Ultra Black around it.

Trans noise in neutral with the clutch out but not with clutch in is likely a bad front ball bearing.

The original rubber seals get really hard with age. By removing the pan, you disturbed the seal even if slightly. If it has hardened with age, then it is not circular and does not mate up with the spacer circle and hence leaking. This can happen with the later Teflon seal also which is why you put the spacer in after the pan is all bolted up. The Cometic gasket is not the problem.

Makes sense , thank you gentlemen.
Looks like I’ll have to take the pan out , can I do this in situ ?
The archives seem to think so…reaction plate out?
Mark

What model car is this?

Apologies , I need to update my signature…

69 OTS E

New front seal successfully installed…in situ.
Thanks for all the coaching and help Dick.

Mark 69 E OTS

Hope it does not leak when you put the oil in :wink: Glad it worked out.