Front Spring Experiment

My front springs were looking a little worse for the wear, so I’m experimenting with some aftermarket replacements meant for a Ford. They comparable in dimensions and spring rates, so we’ll see how they work out once I get the car back together. For reference my car is lumped with an iron LS engine which should be a bit lighter than the original XK 6.

Hi Norbert,

There is an issue I see with the new springs, the one side is not formed flat.
I guess in the Ford there must be a formed seat for them, but in the Jaguar both ends need to be flat.
You should either build some kind if moulded seat or make them flat.
If you put them in as is they will not sit straight and there will be quite a lot of stress at seat.

2 Likes

More to the point, Norbert; is the ride height correct - it is adjustable by adding/removing packing rings. When correct the springs will do their job - unless damaged/broken…

Aristides remarks are very apt, and experimenting without absolute need is a bit fraught…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Good observations, yes, the one end is tangential rather than square. I plan to run a ramped spring isolator to adjust for the angle, and fine tune ride height using packings. As mentioned in the video, the original springs are corroded and at risk of breaking during compression which happened to me years ago, luckily at low speeds.

When an unlikely event occurs to you personally, it’s understandable to take above and beyond precautions against a repeat… But really that rust looks pretty minor. If rust like that warranted spring replacement, I have six jaguars that all have needed new springs for decades.

But this does sound like a fun experiment!

My experiment would be to use DB7 front springs: Pair of Front Coil Springs, Aston Martin DB7 I6 (1994-99) | eBay

1 Like