Front turn signal lights R&R

The chrome surround on my turn signal lamps was going bad, so being a little OCD, I decided to replace them. On a series 2 do you have to remove the headlights to access the wiring harness and bolt that hold the unit to the body?

Dennis,
I did that work on my 1969 E-Type FHC two years ago when I replaced the headlamp seals and some connectors. Although I did remove the headlamps, I don’t believe that you have to if you are only trying to access the connectors inside the bonnet. The rubber to my bullet connectors had deteriorated badly and in addition to replacing them I cleaned up the bullets and painted a bracket that I removed. I think I accessed pretty much everything through the directional signal lamp openings.

Paul

Yes. IIRC, you can remove the light bezels themselves and access the bullet connectors through that opening.

There are 2 bolts that connect the light to the body. I can’t remove them because the nuts on the back side are turning. One nut I can access thru the wheel well, but the other might be accessible by removing the headlights. Any thoughts?
I’m guessing the 2 original nuts that were welded to the body were lost when the car was restored.

Dennis,

Are you asking about the side reflectors on the front sides of the car, or the turn signal lights at the front of the car beneath the bumper?

Paul

Front turn signal on the side of the car, on series 2 car.

Ah, you mean these?

Usually referred to as the front side marker lights.

Dennis,
Attached are three pictures of the right front side reflector on my unrestored Series 2 E-Type FHC. On my car these components are only reflectors, although I believe that later on Jaguar installed bulbs and wiring to make these into side marker lamps.

The first picture shows the reflector with the lens in place.

The second picture shows the reflector with the lens removed revealing the two fasteners that hold the reflector housing in place. The one labeled “1” is a screw with a washer and nut that are accessible from the front of the wheel well. The one labeled “2” is a screw that goes into a metal clip.

In the third picture you can see where the screw goes through the bonnet and into the wheel well area labeled as “1” where the washer and nut fit onto it. The forward screw goes through the metal clip labeled “2”. Since your car was restored there is no way of knowing for sure what your restorer did until you get yours off. If your car is a later one with a lamp rather than a reflector like my car, the installation could be different. You could try removing the one on the other side of the car to see if you can get a clue as to what your restorer did to mount them. Your restorer may have installed it like Jaguar did, or it could be different.

Paul

Paul, great photos and explanation. Yes, my car has does have the lamp. I am going to pull the headlight today. Should be easy to do, just time! I will have to get access to that Nut!

Working on the assumption that Series II side lights are the same as (or quite close to) those found on a Series III, I offer you these (captions = details).

In my case, not only are the headlights off my car, the sugar scoops are also (full body repaint, down to bare metal). Makes access very easy for me.

/
/

/
/

I had to gingerly bend the wire clip up and out of the way
/
/

/
/

Craig, thanks for the photos. I had to remove the head light buckets to access the nuts on the back side. Also had to rotate the wire clip to give clearance.

Does anyone on the Forum know when the side marker lights were fitted with bulbs & wiring on Series 2 cars? Mine has a manufacture date of 30 Sept. 1969. No wiring to the side markers.

The Series 2 JCNA Judging Guide indicates that the side marker lights were first fitted with bulbs at LHD OTS 1R11052. This was after the start of the Model Year 1970 cars - it seems it would correspond with a build date around mid-October 1969.

1 Like

David,
That is very interesting because my 1969 E-Type FHC only has the reflectors but it has a build date of 10-1969.
I am parting out a 1990 XJ-S convertible now and I have set aside its front side lamps to modify my E-Type to add the side lamps to replace the reflectors. It is a low priority modification that I will get to some time in the future. I am hoping that like other Jaguar design changes provisions for the side lamp wiring is already in place in earlier cars, but I will eventually find that out once I start my research.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for that pointer. I failed to check the build date of 1R11052 (my bad!) as I’d read that the change coincided with MY1970’s start. Having now checked, I see that 1R11052 and the corresponding FHC were built around mid October 1969, so some time after the start of the MY1970 build. This means that your FHC must have been one of the last with just a reflector, and no bulb socket. Thanks for the correction - it’s what makes this forum so good.

My LHD OTS IR10876…mfg. date Sept.'69. Titled as '69. No wiring to side lights. Always exceptions with these cars.:neutral_face:

…as per my last post, this predates the introduction of the marker light wiring (LHD OTS 1R11052).

Post deleted