Front windscreen adjustment 1948 MK IV

I’ve taken the front windscreen out, re-fitted new rubbers, and trying to get it back in - but I’m struggling to get it aligned correctly with the roof line hinges so it is all square with the body panel. It ends up lower at the passenger side and catches on the wiper blade at that side when I close it!! Anyone know of a technique of getting it correct please?

Thanks

You use spacers between the bracket shown and the hinge , to move the screen in/out , up/down
You can try it out with washers as a trial and error at the start
But first , it looks like a new windscreen rubber might help

I’ve replaced the rubbers (photo is taken before I did that), but I didn’t notice any spacers when I took it apart. I’ll try it. Thanks.

I would like to make a suggestion which might be helpful. Set the windscreen in place and use the side locks to hold it firmly and centrally. Then dummy up the hinges to see where the gaps are revealed. You would need to start with fixing one set of screws in place and start from there. This can be an annoying and tricky task if there are misalignment conditions that can occur with changing windscreens or brackets, or looseness in the hinge pin etc. Surprisingly, or maybe not, this fitment is quite a precise operation with very little tolerance in any axis.

Just as a request, I am having trouble finding the square/rectangular section dense foam inner seal. Does anyone know where I can source this?

I’m still struggling after several days on this tricky job, and I’ll try this idea thanks. I think that in taking all the parts off for re-chroming and new rubbers fitted the size and gap tolerances have become critical for the windscreen body work gap.

I found self adhesive back rubber from Woolies in the uk - it was wider than needed but the right thickness and density. I just cut it to the correct width with a Stanley knife (I think 1/4” wide from memory).

Managed to get the front window in and aligned - a real tricky job of “trial and error” (not helped by me being the only one jumping in and out of the car to do the work by myself !!). The new rubbers need bedding in, but overall a reasonable fit.

Thanks for the advice.

It’s critical that the body surface around the window is perfectly flat.
We have cut out a 'dummy’screen from chip board. I’ve forgotten the thickness , about 3/4", so that it drops in the hole and is held at the side from the clamp holes this thickness is so that the surface comes out level with the body work.
So when it’s being painted and rubbed down, it’s a good guide and avoids the painter getting low spots where it wold leak,

I had not taken that into consideration, so probably more luck than judgement it’s worked out OK now that the car is fully repainted !! Great tip though, and logical seeing that the window frame is not curved so needs a flat surface to seal against.

Just another trap to mention. I can’t see clearly in your photo if you have the interior trims in place. If you do, then your locks are probably working well and properly aligned. If not, be aware that the total thickness of the trims under the catches moves the locks further inboard and too much can create misalignment with the windscreen pegs.
I fell foul of this with one of mine. All interior ply had de-laminated and I made new back panels and new cant rail strips. A few mms over-thickness made a misalgnment between the catch and peg. Don’t hesitate to reduce the thickness of the back panel down the A pillar, and chamfer the edges so it sits fully onto the steel base.

This applies to much of the trim

Too thick ply in the door trims and you’ll have trouble trying to get the pins in the window winder shafts. To much padding on the door trims and the trims will touch the seats . Too much padding { a trimmer’s favourite ] and your head will touch the roof. { and that’s before even the headlining goes in.]

The strips above the doors are tricky . My pet hate is cars with a row of self tapping screws , even worse # 6 self tappers. The easiest way is to attach velcro to the back of the strip and if you get the position wrong you can pull it of for another go
But leave it out behind the screen catches.

Yes, I put the interior trim in place first before fitting the screen to make sure it aligned with the side locks. Great tip on using Velcro, which I will use on the other parts. Thanks.