Front windscreen replacement

I am having a reputable company (safelite) here in the USA replace my front windshield. Should I remove the dash and all surrounding wood before I take the car in for this work. They have a new gasket and it has already taken 6 weeks to get the screen through SNG from the UK. My insurance pays for this in full as it is heavily pitted and qualifies for replacement. They of course wil not allow me to video the install as I wanted to share that with the forum. Should the front window have any markings on it to show that it matches the SynDym of all of the other windows? I believe I told them to order the tinted model.

Gerard

What car and how old is the existing windshield?
On my maroon 420G, with its original, but not so clear as new shield, the fitting is 100% and the chrome surrounds sit as tight and nice as I have never seen before. And what is more; the 1967 Sundym glass is far darker than what Pilkington today sells as Sundym.
On my dark blue G, the new shield was too wide to fit well and the seal´ s
Outer lip would not lie flat against the glass.
I found a NOS Mk10 shield in toughened rather than laminated glass. Much lighter and a perfect fit. It had a few marks from being moved around many, many times, but they are on the sides and donˋ t bother me too much.
My conclusion is that original, period shields fit far better than current reproductions.

Its a 1966 MK2 and the windshield is probably from the late 1970’s. The seal does leak a bit and it very hard.

Gerard

Any one want to chime in whether I should pull all the wood from around the front windshield before replacement this Friday?

Gerard

I would take the surrounding wood out, dash cap, side pillar, and top. Rear view mirror as well, probably visors too.

Thanks, better to avoid a problem than try to repair all of this nice wood.

Gerard

While the dash cap is out you could R&R the wiper tubes, wheelboxes, and bezel seals. I don’t think you can get access to the washer nozzles without taking the instrument and glovebox sections out though.