FS: XK-140SE 5-speed project car on Bring-a-Trailer

Here is another type of block heater on XK140 engine G4686-8S.

red%20XK140%20block%20008
This engine was found in Illinois.
I have not found a heater listed in any factory parts catalogues, just the C5022 called a 1" Briggs plug. This type of thing was fairly common aftermarket in colder US states. I had one in the lower radiator hose of my daily driver '70 E-Type and it definitely helped get it started in mid-winter.

Rob:

These posts prompted me to head out to the garage and hook up an old two pin extension cord to the block heater. While wiping down some oil film on the engine following the plug in I heard percolating sounds coming from the block and, after awhile the block felt warm. Clearly the device is still functional after all these years! Interestingly, after 20 minutes or so the percolating sounds ceased. Now that I know it works perhaps it will be handy to plug it in prior to the monthly start ups in December/January/February, it will help combat the viscosity of the 20W50 I use!

Chris.

Thanks for posting those, Rob.

Now I understand what the odd part on my spare XK-140 block is.
(see Photo 50 in the BaT ad mentioned earlier)

isn’t the briggs plug the plug that goes into block to plug the hole and when the heater a Bray engine heater is fitted there is no Briggs plug?

Yes, sorry I was unclear about that, the Briggs plug is just a plug.
I meant it is the only thing listed in the SPC to go in that hole.
I didn’t find a heater listed.

Sounds like the 2" spec mani was not stamped with the alternate part number(C8479) to reflect the difference between it and the “base”(1.75") part? BTW, the cast-in part number on my mani appears to me to be C7462.

C7462 is also what the parts manual says, Lee.
Fat fingers…

I’ll correct my earlier posting.

Interesting that Joe Curto’s catalogue lists H8 (and H6) carb kits for the XK-120 C-type, but only H6 for the XK-140 C-type.

I think Joe’d be as solid a source on the definitive answer as anyone.

Have edited my posting now showing correct C7462 - and not C7482. Got to love this site, being able to correct such errors.
To make amends, see attached pictures of genuine/original factory H8 C8479 Inlet Manifolds……

The first photo uses a C7462 casting from the WILLIAM MILLS foundry

Note, it still shows the C7462 (Jaguar Part No) number at the left-hand end, and underneath the thermostat housing the William Mills casting number WM6034 (WM = William Mills), and showing the most obvious machining difference of the 2" diameter holes.

The second Inlet Manifold, another genuine factory H8 Inlet Manifold, but this one, the C7462 casting being from West Yorkshire Foundry………….

No easy markings, but if you look under the thermostat housing, you see both the Jaguar Part number C7462 and the WYF overlapping-logo (West Yorkshire Foundry)

Functionally the two Inlet Manifolds are identical, with both being machined up to be to C8479 specification, but there are non-functional variations to the apperance of the two castings. AS before, I am aware of at least FIVE different appearance C7482 castings, from only these two foundries - WM and WYF with all five confirmed to be machined up to C7482 specification, and at least three of them also to C8479 specification.

Roger

Roger:

The manifold on my car looks closer to the first type above.
The marking below the thermostat is WM6034 R

Evan

Hi Rob,
Here is another data point.
Engine G7938-8 came from an XK which probably ended up being dismantled for parts back in the mid 1960s in Nova Scotia,Canada, has a block heater.

Although possibly a subject on its own: regarding “Block Heaters” I can add the following.
" Engines > W3686 (Nov 1951): Boss incorporated in block casting at rear LH side, above and slightly forward of oil sump dipstick. Boss fitted with an internal hexagon plug, being tapped 1” American Standard Pipe-thread for the fitment of a US standard engine heater element no. 7 manufactured by the Electric Heating & Manufacturing Co. Ltd."

I guess the US standard engine heater may look like this one and it’s close to the one that was in my 1955 XK 140 :

Regarding the Bray heater, I have the following pics of a 1964 version:

Bob K.