Fuel cell info needed..the smell has worn me down

Can some of you give me numbers and mfg’s or sellers of fuel cells that will work in 1988 xjs…or has anyone have one to get rid of…after seeing so many modified cars,.I think adding the fuel cell to the list will not detract that much and it is removable. If you have read some of my previous posts etc. I have tried to get rid of the fuel smell…tried lots of stuff…I am not going to pursue using a jag tank if I ever get this one out again…I had it lined and It still tin-canned a few times on me afterwards…however, I by-passed the valve between canister and engine with an electric valve and I am suspicious that I might have done this too late and the tank could have a leak again…I do not get any woosh from gas cap but the smell is horrible first thing in the morning. Even put a tee on a line to the evaporator with a valve that I can manually open to a vent hose running under the trunk. There must be a slight pressure just from gas evaporation…Could be something else like carbon canister or what?. New hoses, filler neck o-ring have not helped and neither has removing the sump tank and paraphernalia.

Surely someone has info on which cell fits the best?

Hi Dave, nothing specific for you, but Summit Racing (not too far away for me) has a huge selection. You need to do some measuring of the available space in the trunk and go from there. You could even have two side by side tanks in tandem if you wished.

i use a Summit plastic fuel cell, works good!

but it also seems to always have a smell, i have looked and tested for yrs, No leaks!

talking with some race car guys ,they say that the smell permeates THRU the plastic and flex lines.

Surely someone has info on which cell fits the best?

There’s a pic about halfway down this page that’s clearly an XJ-S:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/fuel-tank-saga-least-one-them-out-pics-82985/

Perhaps you could ask him what he did.

– Kirbert

before I replace tank I wonder if the fuel pump could cause the smell…its always after running and shutting down and the trunk closed for a couple of hours or more then it smells but not while in active usage…can’t see anything…done all kinds of stuff…new cap and filler o ring, new hoses, tank lining, sump tank removed, by passed carbon canister valves, even tried venting to outside for awhile…!!!.. I wonder???