Fuel delivery pipes

I have read and heeded the warnings on replacing brittle injector hoses and am in the process of acquiring the parts to do that.
Also I am fussing with whether to replace the 4 or 5 fuel delivery pipes/hoses.
They are not exactly flexible on my '87 XJ12 however are not subjected to the exact same conditions as the injector hoses, these pipes do contain rubber elements.
They are available but not cheap (someone may point out neither is an engine fire!)
What’s the consensus on the need to replace these guys?
I’m also going to take them in to a hose shop to see if they can just replace the rubber parts (with EFI hose).
Thanks for your thoughts
Dave

Dave,
Check the date tags on those hoses and if they show 1987 it is time to replace them. I have seen first hand the damage caused by two XJ-S engine fires and it is not pretty. The cars were a 1986 XJ-SC and 1989 XJ-S convertible, both V12 equipped with original fuel injection hoses “that still looked great” according to the owners.

My conclusions from those engine fires was that 30 year old fuel injection hose is not safe and an owners visual/feel inspection is not good enough to detect failing fuel injection hoses.

I replaced the ones in my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible a few years ago. At the time at least two USA vendors, MOTORCARS LTD and XKS Unlimited, were selling a kit which made them a little more affordable over buying them individually. I can’t recall which one I purchased from.

I have had many car pipes/hoses rebuilt at a local shop. When I looked into this a few years ago the rebuild price for these fuel injection pipes/hoses was about the same as the new kits so I got the new aftermarket kit. I also checked with the local Jaguar dealership parts department and they were no longer available at that time.

Paul

Pretty much all hose assemblies on the xjs are rebuildable simply by replacing the rubber portion of the line (care needs to be taken so as not to damage fitting barbs) New ferrules can be had for a few dollars and suitable size and rated rubber hose used with the old hard lines. They are push fit generally although there seems to be an occasional car with crimped fittings.