Fuel Filter geting hot

The late cars have a completely different fuel tank and pump system.

2 Likes

There is no fuel cooler in 3.6, the only way to explain the filter running warm is dying or cheapo fuel pump f.eg. from eBay… Hopefully you’re not one of the JagLovers loving to run their XJS on fumes in the tank… Measure the temp of the filter with infrared thermometer. Anything below 45deg.C is not an issue.

The engine looks similar to the 4.2 XJ6.
The filter in my XJS 3.6 is in the back, boot compartment, behind spare wheel.

Anyway, thanks for your interest.

Thanks Janusz.
I will have a look at all the system, change the filter first and if still heat in the pump, I will change the pump.
The temperature in that moment was for sure, above 45º C.

No way… no XK engine in the XJS

You are right, my engine is a AJ6

okay in case you have not mentioned it, did the car run normal before it made the odd noises? Is it obviously modified? Does it run normal now despite the filter getting hot? I think 50° is too much for a fuel return and definitely too much for a feed line from the pump. A pump that can heat up the fuel that much isn’t any good, how warm iss the tank?.

The car was not running for about 6 months, so I can’t tell you.
But in the first trip after six months standing still, maybe there is a clue here:

// Got to petrol station with petrol at 1/4 of the tank.
Opened the tank lid with the normal (?) ¨ hushhh ¨sound
Filled with petrol up to 3/4
Started the engine and pump began to make a strange noise //

With ambient temperature above 45degC and stock insulation on the bonnet - yes, that sounds about right. The heat source will be not only the pump itself but fuel rail made out of nice aluminium - working as a heat sink in the engine chamber. Plus, you’re starting with fuel tank temp close to ambient temperature…

fair enough, we have a rainy day. obviously the fuel will get warmer than ambient after circulating a while. has there ever been a problem like that or is it just normal, turn the radio up or keep an eye on it?

These are standard, maybe slightly extreme physics, hopefully taken into consideration by Jaguar engineers. If you’ll rent new Volkswagen and take it on tour via Barcelona - you’ll notice red oil warning light many times while goin up the alleys. It doesn’t mean that the engine runs dry…

How convennnnieeentttt :smile: Wow, wish our 4.0s was in that location … Due to the fact I’d have to lift Superblue up, remove her left front wheel, and then an access cover to access our fuel filter, I have not yet gotten around to doing it, ever since I bought her 5 years/25,000 miles or so ago … :blush: All I have been doing (besides praying) to hope to keep the filter (and the rest of the fuel system) clean and clear is to dump in a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner every month or two, a small bottle of Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner about the same interval (for good measure), and, every few months, a healthy dose of StarTron “enzymatic” fuel system cleaner/ethanol “remover”. :man_juggling: I usually add these products to the tank when there is only a few gallons of fuel in same, to help “concentrate” their effect. Guess this strategy has worked so far, but at some time I know the filter is going to eventually end up clogged, so the sooner I r/r it the better. :grimacing:

Bangher, on an unrelated note, what IS that flag on your name line? It doesn’t look like the Union Jack, although I thought you were in the U.K. :uk: ? :confused: Have you declared your own sovereign republic there or something? :grin:

Atty,

Isn’t that a shame to not recognise a territorial flag of the land that you’ve lost? I live in Panama, we’ve got Pound Sterling here…

That’s Panama, looks like many people here have recently moved to Ukraine, to each their own I guess?

I don’t know that we “lost” it, Bang … Didn’t we like buy the rights to construct the canal in their country, and then after doing that for the Panamanians :panama: (great $$$ :moneybag: benefit, I’m sure) pretty much let them take it from there ? :confused: Anyway, what made you decide to move all the way there from the U.K.? Do you work on the canal?

Probably just the song/video!