Fuel hose for 5.3l xjs

Hey guys, can i use this hose for the fuel line that goes from the reguletor to the fuel rail ?

Yes, 10 bar working pressure is sufficient; that hose is equivalent of SAE 30R9, which is low permeation. Don’t know about the 7mm diameter; I think everything under hood on mine was 8mm (5/16”).

1 Like

DIN 73379 Type E is an outdated German standard for fuel injection hose. Generally conformed to SAE J30R6 and J30R7 here in the USA, which is now outdated. The German standard on the hose most likely means that specific hose is old stock originally mfged in Europe, circa 10-15 years ago. The 7x13 indicates an inner diameter of 7mm. It would be a tight fit.

I would suggest you find an FI hose made here in The US of A meeting the spec SAE30R14T2. Look at hose made by Gates.
SD Faircloth Jaguar Fuel Injector Service

1 Like

They’re right. the “Type E” isn’t what you want. Unlike SAE standards I’m finding the variations of the DIN 73379 suffixes behind paywalls for the specs PDF. The SAE spec you’d want is SAE30R9, and the DIN match for that is 73379-3D. So it’s the 3D suffix you’re looking for. (Maybe 3E. See: Fuel Hose Selection, Pipe Grading (Why R9), Connections & Clipping)

E.g. SAE 30R9 DIN 73379-3D Fuel Injection Hose < Fuel Supply < Powertrain | Continental Industry

See the standards here:
SAEJ30.pdf (383.8 KB)

SAE J30R2 covers Coupled and Uncoupled Synthetic Rubber Tube and Cover Hose.
SAE J30R3 covers Lightweight Braided Reinforced Lacquer, Cement, or Rubber Covered Hose.
SAE J30R5 covers Wire Inserted Synthetic Rubber Tube and Cover Hose.
SAE J30R6, 7, and 8 covers Low Pressure Coupled and Uncoupled Synthetic Rubber Tube and Cover Hose.
SAE J30R9 covers Fuel Injection, Medium Pressure Coupled and Uncoupled Synthetic Rubber Tube and Cover Hose.
SAE J30R10 covers In-Tank, Low Pressure, and Uncoupled Fuel Hose.
SAE J30R11 covers Low Permeation Fuel Fill and Vent Hose.
SAE J30R12 covers Low Permeation Fuel Feed and Return Hose.
SAE J30R13 covers Diesel or Biodiesel Fuel Feed and Return Hose (currently under development).
SAE J30R14 covers Low Permeation, Low Pressure Coupled and Uncoupled Synthetic Rubber Tube and Cover Hose for Small Engines.

As you can see the J30R14 spec doesn’t specifically cover high pressure hose - just low permeation. That doesn’t mean a Mfgr cannot well exceed the standards and publish that, just like Mfgrs are now adding FKM/Viton liners to their SAE J30R9 hoses to make them low permeability.

E.g. NAPA MPI hose:

J30R14Tz (z = 1 for 100C resistance 2 for 125C resistance). So don’t use R14 unless you can verify the mfgr has rated it’s burst strength to be in the EFI range like NAPA advertises for it’s “Barricade MPI” hoses. Others might not be EFI strength unless specifically stated.

~Paul K.

1 Like

I did find this as relates to SAE hose specs…

SD Faircloth

1 Like

That looks to be an updated document, but it does seem to confirm the possible issue with R14: The listed working pressure of 0.34MPa corresponds to 50psi which is what NAPA specified for it’s Carbureted version of the J30R14T2 hose (so the minimum). While that might technically be within typical MPI pressures, it’s worth noting the burst pressure of the same hose minimally is 1.72MPa/250psi vs SAEJ30R9’s minimum of 6.20MPa or near 1000psi - quite a safety factor required. Just means is important to check the Mfgr’s specs on the hose to see if they exceed SAE standards far enough.

~Paul K.

I agree with that. The Gates hose I initially referenced J30R14T2, while it isn’t the highest operating or burst pressure FI hose they make, exceeds that spec of 0.34MPa. As shown in the Gates hose flyer you linked, they advertise that specific hose as Barricade fuel injection hose with a working pressure as 225 psi or 1.55MPa. They use to make the FI hose with the SAE30R9 rating (and maybe still do) with higher operating and burst strength. My guess is the Barricade hose, now low permeation and meeting CARB requirements, lost some working and burst strength when the layering was incorporated into the hose to reduce permeation. As you indicate, the specs and doing due diligence is impt. They keep changing. SD Faircloth

1 Like