Fuel Injected V12 E Type

I am in the process of converting my 1971 E Type V12 coupe to EFI. Used intakes from a 1985 XJS, 5.0 Mustang fuel injectors, Wilson Manifolds 80mm throttle bodies and fuel rails, in tank fuel pump, engine positioning module for crank and cam positioning trigger sequential injection, 2 x quad sparks with 6 pack coils, and Megasquirt MS3 Pro ECU.
If anyone is interested in more information on my project please let me know.

Richard

1 Like

I’m interested. Would you prefer PM, for future info?

Hello Chris:

I believe this would be the best way.

Cheers,

Richard

Here, Here… I am interested as well.
Sent you a PM

I’m interested as well. I did 3 Jag V12’s using MS-2, OEM low impedance injectors and dual EDIS-6 modules (with a extra box of tricks to sort out SAW phase for the second EDIS-6 system). My aim was simply to optimise the engines, not all out power.

I still own the pre-HE XJS (with a 5-sp manual Tremec) that is still running on MS-2 - since '06 IIRC. My previous E-type started out as a pre-HE, but when the engine blew up, I converted it to an HE using 11:1 pistons ex USA. Third project was a Cobra replica with an HE Jag V12 engine.

Don’t go TOO large on the injectors. Could create problems at idle and small throttle openings.

What PM address would we correspond with? Thanks.

You can select that on the site.

If you can’t figure out send me your address

Richard

Dear Richard,
If you look in the old photo albums, you should be able to see how I mated the XJS inlet manifolds with a e-type airboxes, should you want to do the same. Mine also runs sequentially via MS3. I used the standard Jaguar low impedance injectors from the 1992-4 era final square fuel rail (6litre) era. 1995-6 injectors used with the Denso setup were high impedance.
kind regards
Marek

Good Morning Marek:
I used 1985 intake manifolds with a custom fuel rail and 1995 Mustang GT injectors. Installed 2 wide band O2 sensors that control each bank. Adapted 2 80mm throttle bodies with a TPS on one. Got rid of distributor and installed 2 optical sensors for crank and cam in its place. The MS3 pro controls it all.
It is all working very well. Going for a test drive in a couple of month.

Hi Richard,

I’m also very interested. I’d been looking about replacing the distributor and using optical sensors but wasn’t able to find one that would work. I’m curious to see what you are using.

Thanks, Pepe

Good mornig Pepe:

I adapted an EPM (engine position module) to a base of a marelli distributor. The EPM has one wheel with 2 staggered optical sensors. One sensor (crank) picks up 24 signals per turn and the other sensor (cam) 1 signal per turn. This was much better and easier then using a crank wheel and adapting a cam wheel.
Cheers,

Richard

1 Like

Hello Richard:

Thanks for your quick reply. Would it be too intrusive to ask you if you are using one of the AEM engine position modules adapted to the marelli distributor?

I’m also going with MS for sequential fuel injection.

Thanks again,

Pepe

Pepe:

The only EPM I know that talks well with the MS3 Pro is the one from AEM.

The sequential fuel injection is the best choice.

Just let me know of any details you need.

Richard

Thank you Richad.

Pepe

Hello Richard:

How is your fuel injection project coming along? I was able to get a marelli distributor and now would like to know more about how you adapted an EPM to the base of the marelli. What EPM do you suggest?

Thanks,

Pepe

Lakewood, CO

Good Morning Pepe:

I took the car for the 1st drive 2 days ago. It is running good but I am having problems with very narrow

signal from the TPS which is not allowing a precise position. I am trying to determine the cause. It can be

a bad TPS or I might have inverted a wire.

The only EPM I know that talks to the MS is the one manufactured by AEM.

You will need to make a plate to adapt the EPM to the distributor. A good machinist should be able to do it.

If you want I can take a picture of my install.

Cheers,

Richard

Good morning Richard:

Thanks for your quick answer. It must be exciting to see all the work done coming to fruition.

AEM is what I have in mind, but wasn’t sure if it was a transplant of the electronics to the marelli, or the plate adaptation. If you don’t mind when you have a minute a picture would help me. My email is jlp0591@gmail.com

Thanks again,

Pepe

Good Evening Pepe:

Happy New Year.

I have been fine tuning the Megasquirt and while testing I ran into a crankcase breathing issue.

What year is you car?

How did you pipe your crankcase breathing system?

Do you have a PCV valve?

Cheers,

Richard

Good Morning Richard; Happy New Year to you too!
My car is a 73 OTS. I haven’t gotten that far yet. I’m still in the process of getting all the parts for the EFI conversion.
If I understand correctly crankcase fumes vent through the breather pipe system, At light load and idle the cross over pipe joins the two plenums dividing the flow of fumes equally between the two sides. The XJS has a vacuum limiting valve in the filter backplane to prevent excessive flow.

Marek, Philip and Steve Dinse that I’m aware have done the conversion and hopefully can chime in.

Best,
Pepe

That is correct Pepe. The “vacuum limiting valve” as you states limits excessive air flow. But WHY? The answer is that this PART of the the PCV system actually forms part of the idle air supply to the HE EFI engine. The balance of idle air comes from four (4) sources:

1. LH throttle body;
  2. RH throttle body;
  3. IAC bypass screw;
  4. IAC thermostatic valve.

Coming back to the PCV system, if the amount of blowby is more than is being drawn back into the engine, via the “vacuum limiting valve”, the crank case fumes are presented to the LH throttle body via the clean side of the LH air filter, to be drawn back in via the LH throttle body and the two IAC routes.