Fuel line hose, clear plastic or opaque white?

just received my fuel line hose from sng. it is white and i was expecting clear. which is correct and who carries the correct hose?
thanks,
ed

I’d characterize it as translucent; milky white.

see pix. also the radiator stone guard is attached with these brackets. originals are bare metal and these are rubber coated. is this what is only available?

Ed,

The plastic is nylon for fuel resistance. It starts out milky white but will acquire a yellow tint which eventually turns orange, although that kind of patina takes years to develop. Clear plastic would likely be vinyl which does not tolerate fuel, so you got the right product. Lots of posts regarding installing banjos which will be a tight fit but doable by heating the nylon - I use a hair dryer.

Bob Hodgins
66 FHC

Ed -

I think you’ll find that that rubber bit will come right off - it is just molded to grab the bare P-clip. What I don’t know is if the size will be right after the rubber is removed.

‘P-Clip’ is the usual term for them and using that for a search will turn up lots of sources and varieties,

http://tinyurl.com/kjpgaw5

I bought the trunk fuel line kit for SNG already cut to length and banjos installed. The only issue was that the fabric washer did not fit in the recessed section of their female banjos. In the end, I just tightened the male banjo until the washer was pressed into the grove. Those same washers fit fine in the old banjos, so the problem was definitely with the new banjos.

Not ideal, but my entire fuel system is leak free.

Here is a photo of NOS hose from Jaguar. Notice the original color.

Richard Liggitt

is there a source for that hose? not crazy about the opaque bright white one from sng.

Any chance that’s yellowed with age?

I believe that’s the case.

BTW, when I went to replace the inferior plastic fuel line, I became convinced that after 50 years that nylon line was still superior to metal, in that it would never dent or corrode. No chance of future damage, it was bulletproof. I left it, though the restorers replaced it with new, white line.

Jerry

I don’t think so. It’s not that yellow, but it’s definitely not white. I bought several original fuel hoses about 30 years ago and that’s the color they were. However the hoses installed in cars certainly turned darker when petrol was run through them, or maybe just the heat of the day darkened them. But they also turned very stiff and somewhat brittle. The hose pictured above is pretty flexible and pliable.

In Clausager’s book on page 119 is a photo of an original boot showing the petrol hoses not darkened, but noticeably not white. I have no idea when that picture was taken.

In the 43 years of E-Type ownership I have not been able to source a hose like it except from Jaguar and only then if it was part of an assembly with a part number.

Richard Liggitt

Richard Liggitt.

I believe it is exposure to fuel that removes the plasticizers from the material, making it stiff.

You might try go kart racing shops…we used that fuel line on my son’s 125cc racing kart…so did all the other racers, although our line was probably smaller in diameter.

When they replaced my hose recently, the new nylon hose was already as stiff as the old one.

Jerry

could you please tell me the diameter of the pipe regards ben

Benny,

Welcome to the forum although you may wonder why it’s so quiet on this thread. This can be a tough crowd, and it’s recommended to start with the looking glass in the upper right corner to search for nylon fuel line and a thread from April 30 Nylon fuel line options which is the most recent of many covering everything you would need or want to know about fuel lines. Including standard od of 3/8" and the subtle difference between 1/4" and 7mm id.

1 Like

yes i was wanting to find both internal an external diamater fuel line dimensions for s1 3.8 etype

Two good resources I’ve used throughout the years: McMaster-Carr is a terrific hardwar and tool supplier and when I did airplanes, Aircraft Spruce and Speciality. May seem a bit awry, but they supply quality parts and more stuff than you can imagine. I.e., those clamps, called loom clamps sometimes, come with a variety of configurations including bare.