Fuel line replace?

Show of hands.

I think it’s said the original nylon fuel line lasts forever, they just turn brown.
I am thinking if the brown ness doesn’t bother me and, no one can even see the one in the trunk, why go through the pain of forcing a new line onto banjos?

What do you think?

2 Likes

Tweety’s 1963-vintage Tygon tubing was in perfectly serviceable shape, and yes, it was kinda brown.

Big whoop!

P6 Rovers – Rovii?? – have a black plastic fuel line that, in my experience never fails.

1 Like

Right, some may consider this to be a preventative maintenance thing but the original nylon line is very durable and long lasting. I wasn’t intending to replace my 50 year old vintage fuel line (filter to carbs) until I managed to clumsily crack it near the filter head - then it’s a must-do job but was easily done using the correct replacement nylon line. The brownish look - just call it “patina” and you’re good! :wink:

2 Likes

It does get a bit less pliable and is prone to breakage more easily ….but if you can retain it why not do so

If you’re building a driver then it probably doesn’t matter. If you’re trying to build a top dollar restoration it’s definitely unsightly and will be kind of a pain to change after the IRS is in. Getting new stuff on the ends can be frustrating but doesn’t have to be. Once someone explained a repeatable process to me, it was 30 minutes work beginning to end

I agree. I I took the (perfectly servicable) nylon pipe out of my Mk2 because I was in there and replaced it with braided hose, probably unnecessarily.

One problem I’ve had with the replacement stuff is that some of it isn’t actually fuel compatible and it hardens and splits quite quickly.

…and that, dear reader, is why you leave well alone. If it’s lasted 50 years and is sound, it may well be better than anything you can get today. A sound motto for many E-Type parts…

5 Likes

As David and Andrew say that’s the biggest problem changing the line is easy and if you have the correct line I’d say change it , (50 year old plastic of some sort)
But what are you changing it to
Leave well enough alone there’ll be bigger fish to fry

I replaced the line from the rear bulkhead to the front engine bay with metal line just for safety reasons. Inside the boot and engine bay I retained the nylon but I used new line (which ages much more quickly and is prone to splitting at the banjos) FYI.

I replaced the line from the rear bulkhead to the front engine bay with metal line just for safety reasons.

That line is metal on my car was yours something different ?

Jim early cars all had nylon front to rear

Really ,wonder why they changed that

Mine has the original yellowed nylon and is staying as is. It’ll be 60 yo on 20th of November. Might get a cake.

1 Like

Survivor? Preservation? Unrestored??

:grin::rofl:

Yes on the Series 1 3.8 cars the line was nylon from the engine bay to the boot under the car and exposed to road hazards, so I used metal instead with junctions to have the nylon show where it is seen .

I guess you would call it a preservation. It will get paint (to original OEW) when I retire. Doesn’t need much else.

2 Likes

I used Tygon tube from here:

Very easy to work with. Fits beautifully over the existing fittings.
Mike

1 Like

I thought the line was 5/16?

Hi Bill:

From a previous discussion about this (see below) it seems there may have been a change at some point. In that discussion, the Series II guys say it’s 5/16" ID which suggests it may be related to the switch over from SU’s to Strombergs (maybe it’s related to the Stromberg carb “T” fitting???). I know for a fact the original fuel line on my late '67 with triple SUs is 1/4" ID & 3/8" OD. I replaced the section from the fuel bowl to carbs with a length of nylon tubing marked as Eaton TP16006, 3/8" and it’s a perfect match to the old original piece; the Tygon fuel line that Mike mentions above (for his '62 OTS) specs out the same. As for the fuel line from the fuel tank to pump mine uses the same 1/4" ID line but not sure about the Series II - I would think it’s also 1/4" ID … others can chime in. :confused:

I just did a check on multiple cars. I only checked the pipe in the trunk/tank area, and I could only measure the OD - you’ll have to deduce the likely ID. If it is different elsewhere (eg at the carbs) I will not have caught it.
On my 63 (in tank pump) the pipe is 3/8" OD, and marked as 3/8" on the pipe
On my 66 (pump in the wing) the pipe is a little larger OD - this is a UK RHD car, and the pipe and banjos have likely be replaced. I suspect the pipe is 10mm OD
On my 69 (pump in the wing) I replaced the pipe myself during the refurbishment and it measures 3/8" OD. If I knew then what I know now, I would probably have left the original discoloured pipe in place (the new pipe split in a section that was stretched over an in-line filter connection).
Based on this, I’d say 5/16" ID, 3/8" OD is correct.