Fuel line routing from tank to pump - XK120

Me too.

Good head’s up. Just checked and it just clears the boot board flange, by about 1/16”.

Today’s job was fitting the screen washer jets, tee piece and tubes, then the demister finishers.

About to play with the wiper wheelboxes - and wondering if the demister vents go in before or after the wiring…

1 Like

I need a couple of questions answered please. (1) the connection at the end of the copper line where it meets the flex hose; is this correct? (2) I don’t seem to be able to find the exact looking union that came originally with the car. This one is about $9.00 at McMaster. Is it close enough to the original union? Thanks.

john

I believe it is more like this starting pipe end, with a ferrule and a nut.
SU Rebuilders might carry them.
Moss does, listed under XK140 fuel line parts.

tube end fitting

John,

As far as I know, the only P clip is at the front as per your picture. All the others are clips (the wider type as those for the brake lines are smaller in diameter). I simply followed the presence of holes for these clips in the chassis. The rear fuel line is at the inside of the frame and the front section on the outside. You know that the fuel line goes through the chassis near the fuel pump.

Bob K.

One 3/8" P-Clip and five 3/8" hook clips is correct.
Be careful with the hook clips, they are easily broken. To put them in you twist them, same with removal.

1 Like

Rob, I really appreciate this. Thank you. I wished I had known the technique of removing the clips, I would have been able to save them. May I just ask for one more favor? What is this distance? Thanks.

john

7" to the chassis. I just bent it so the flex hose would fit right.

Thanks Rob. I just got this picture from a friend; it’s a coupe.

john

I wanted to post a progress picture.

1 Like

Very nice, John! One thing left to purchase is the special rubber boot covering the length of the electromagnet and some of the cap. These boots were original equipment on LCS pumps. Rob Reilly’s photos, above, show this boot. The rubber boot was eliminated on later SU pumps.

Thanks Mike. I didn’t even notice that. Do you know who supplies these? Is this right?

john

The rubber boot on eBay has raised print. According to Roger Payne, those boots were only used during XK150 production. You’ll want to find one with a smooth surface and without raised print. It’s been awhile since I purchased a smooth boot. I’ll need to check my old receipts.

Thanks Mike. How about this?

Moss Motors carries it under part no. C2839.

I’m just about to order one of those myself and here’s the result of my shopping around

Moss Motors C 2839 $ 13.49
SNG Barratt C 2839 $ 14.47
Welsh Jaguar C 2839 $ 27.45
as of September 19 2022

Nice work John. Notice in my pix there are rubber grommets in the through holes in the chassis frame. I bought a bag of 25 from McMaster Carr, using them on my Mark V as well.

I’m not sure the reason, someone might be able to explain, the fact that the wire to the fuel pump runs separately down the bulkhead inside the flat metal conduit (arrowed).

Yes, that’s where I ran mine. Being a single wire, I suppose they thought it would be protected there. It also runs through the chassis frame along to the pump.

Like Rob mentioned, it’s a separate wire (with a black PVC sleeve around it).
I guess that they simply used this channel (used to make the bulkhead a bit stiffer) as it was there. Just like they did on the LHS of the car, where the two wires to the Master Cylinder are running through the same channel.

Bob K.

1 Like