Fuel Lines for Tank

what I did was burnt the rubber off, then put the steel pipe back in the tank and marked its position in relation to the fitting. I then removed it and soft soldered it (both of them) on the bench, and locked the thread with the correct Loctite for fuel pipes including the ones that go through the floor, if I had thought about it when the tank was out I would have soldered them into the tank as well,

Perfect, I like the sound of that and will definitely use clamps as replacements to save the trouble of having to do it again ever!

Perhaps you didn’t follow. If your hoses look like the ones in baxtor’s photo above, you should definitely NOT use clamps. That’s a push-on fitting, and clamps will just screw up the connection. You should ONLY use clamps if your hose assemblies were originally crimped. And in that case, make sure you only use clamps intended for EFI hoses.

Thanks Kirby. I did follow but was unclear in my reply. Mine did not look like baxtor’s at all but were rather crimps like the one here. I saw them off carefully and was delighted to find normal (and undamaged) barbs ready for clamp replacements when I get the new lines on.

The book was of great help in pulling the tank btw so thanks for that as well! Found the rivet and a little rust but overall dry and clean under the tank which made me very happy. It had not been out before and the fuel lines were 30 years old…no wonder the whole thing smelled worse than a gas station. The vents from boot to cabin were stuck open too. Thinking that getting those flaps closed down will also reduce any lingering boot gas smell air making its way up to the cabin!

Lastly I’m leaving the 2psi valve and installing a bypass by it to open when the car is on. Going for a manual valve now as I couldnt find a solenoid that I thought wouldn’t burn out from always on use. But I’ve put it in a place where it could be switched out easily in the future

And I forgot the crimp photo

Yeah, that hose looks exactly like the ones in my '83.

mine, from a 1988 XJS, was crimped. Pretty easy putting it into a vice and using a hacksaw to cut the crimp and peel it away. Lo and behold, a nice flare at the end. I may use two clamps just to be sure.

One question, I’m measuring the fuel lines, am I right that both hoses from pump to filter and filter to this fitting are both 5/16"? Thanks.

They are both 5/16in on my 89. The “liquid” return line from vapor condenser to top right of tank is too as is the vent line from sump tank to main tank.