Fuel pump keeps running

My 1960 MkII with modern electric fuel pump, pump keeps running rather than pressurize when key turned on. Was flawless, now keeps running.
Engine starts fine and runs right, but before just ticked a few times to pressure, than quiet. Now just ticks non stop prior to any start.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John

Check for a sunken float or over flow from the float bowls.

No sign of any fuel around carbs at all, runs perfect when started too.

Check for a sticky relay.

Mine started to do that , car run fine , no fuel leaks , I put it down to a split diaphragm , did not bother to look , just got a new pump , as far as I know it was the original pump , served it’s time !

John

I think the give-away here could be your comment “modern electric fuel pump”.
The original pumps had points and could be heard to tick continuously until the system was pressurised.

With the advent of the “modern” pump there was an extra choice of electronics as against points when buying a pump. This required a system to produce a “tick” in order to replicate the older type pumps. The system is not fool proof and often the pump electronics will have a fit and produce the continuous tick even after the system is pressurised. If you have no flooding this is the likely cause.

You really need to check if the pump has points, quite easy if you remove the end cap and the pump is external to the tank.

Also I am assuming the car only has one fuel tank because some pumps will transfer to an opposite tank when the opposite pump has a slightly weaker exhaust valve.

I would take the bells off the carbs (pump running) and just make sure that fuel is not running by the needle/seat due their own failure or over pressure or failing float - per Robin. If any of foregoing fuel will run up over the jet bridge and leak fore, aft or both ways.

Could also be caused by the diaphragm in the pump having a hold or split in it so the pump does not build up pressure and shut on and off.

1 Like