Fuel Pump Volume

What is an acceptable volume of fuel pumped per minute in unrestricted flow for a Series II SU fuel pump? I just measured mine and it pumps just at 6 cups in one minute. I didn’t check the pressure.

I’ve seen a number somewhere but can’t find it in either the Haynes or Bentley manuals.

“Arithmetically speaking” at that rate you are using a gallon in less than six minutes, something short of a tank an hour.
I think that rate is adequate for normal driving.
LLoyd

Thanks Lloyd, that’s my thinking as well.

From the SU service manual:

“The pump is capable of supplying approximately 75 (Imperial) pints of fuel per hour at a delivery point about 3 ft. above the level of the tank with 1/4” bore pipes. It is thus capable of supplying fuel at this rate when ascending the most severe gradient liable to be encountered."

SU carbs require a fuel pressure of approximately 2.5 psi. Both the Lucas and SU pumps produce a pressure in excess of 4 psi.

David

Thanks David.

So, 1442 us oz. per hour. Divide by 60 and I get 24 us oz., 3 cups, per minute . I had my receptacle at fuel filter level and was getting about 6 cups per minute, so I think I’m probably OK. I’ll probably redo the test with the end of the discharge hose elevated and see what I get when I put my pressure test rig together.