Fuel pumps not working

Hello there, it’s my first post here on the forum. I received the old jag of my father recently. It’s been sitting for almost thirty years but it’s still in great shape it’s an XJ6 serie 1 4.2 automatic. When i wanted to bleed the fuel system i stumbled on a problem. The fuel pumps aren’t working. I was wondering if u could help me out with this.

First thing is do you have power (12v) to the pumps, there are tow of them, next to try is giving them a tap with a BSH ( bloody small hammer) after sitting so long the points won’t like to work. Next would be to strip them down and refurbish them with new points. Burlen fuel systems carry the parts.

https://burlen.co.uk/

When you say ‘bleed the system’ what are you trying to do? With carburettors there is no need to bleed the system as the float bowls will fill automatically and if all things are working properly will shut off the fuel flow when they ar full.

Ok thnx ill try it. And when i said bleed i wanted to be sure that the old fuel was out of the system or at least what was left of it.

The tanks have drain plugs in the base, open those and drain what’s in there and discard safely.

Sitting for 30 years, it will undoubtedly have rust and/or gummy fuel in the bottom of the tanks, and in the fuel pumps and carb float chambers.

30 years? I had that happen to me after 1 winter. this is what I did
Once I got the fuel pumps working, I used the pumps to pump out the water in the tanks; which I captured in a clear container so I could see what was water and what wasn’t. 3 gallons of water later.
Popped the carbs off, popped the bowls off, and took a gander. Full of petrol flavored jello.