Fuel Sender Test?

Agreed.

Your '88 has a different part number for the fuel tank, so I’m afraid your data will not help me here.

I can confirm that the needle goes all the way to F (for the first time in awhile) when topped off with fuel.

I’ll chime in with my current readings when I hit 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and when the Low Fuel Light comes on. I’ll adjust the bend accordingly.

Thanks for the help…and support!

Low fuel light came on at 16.4 gallons burned.

it’s been refilled for test #2.

I may have to bend it back to 15 degrees instead of 20.

So at 16.4, was that approx. 1/4 tank left - what is your full tank amount?

Googling reveals 20.7 gallons, but I’m not sure I have ever gotten that far…

My “Vehicle Care” book that came with the car says
a. Indicated Amount between E and F : 19.5 gallons
b. Unindicated Amount : 1.3 gallons
c. Total Refill Capacity : 20.8 gallons

Lastly, the fuel light is supposed to come on when the remaining fuel capacity reaches approximately 2.9 gallons… not sure whether that’s “indicated capacity” or not.

If that’s the case, and I really can drive the car for 20 gallons, then I’m happy as a clam.

1 Like

Just read in a service manual that, “the fuel tank is capable of being filled to approximately 90% of its capacity, the additional 10% is a volume of air which allows for expansion of the fuel without it escaping from the tank.”

That would seem to lower the available fuel I have from 20.5 US Gallons to 18.45 US Gallons.

I do recall not being able to start my car, due to a lack of fuel after burning somewhere over 17 gallons….