Fuel-tank felt strips

I am about to refit a new fuel-tank in my XK150. The felt strips on the original have badly deteriorated after a mere 58 years. I bought some felt from Grainger but a test showed that it held water – which seems to be a bad idea. I assume that the strips are designed as a buffer/rub strips with the bodywork and to stop detritus from accumulating on the top of the tank. I am considdering using sealed-cell adhesive-backed foam as used for draft excluders. Does anyone have any experience with this? Alternative is to use felt with a water repellent. I read the earlier posts but did not see a conclusion.

Thanks
Mike

My 120 had/has similar felt strips… when I removed and rebuilt the tank… knowing that it would never see rain again I didn’t worry… however it exhibited a wonderful line of pinholes where the felt had been. now you know cats don’t like wet feet…

I have the same issues with most of my old cars, and use a closed-cell neoprene self-adhesive strip.
Not sure where you are Mike, but this is a good UK supplier:

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/132/sa-sponge-strip

Not difficult to find anywhere, though. I’ve found this one to be very good over the years, absorbing no moisture and sticking very effectively. This is definitely what I will be using in the 140DHC - I’d never use felt in the UK!

Roger