Fuel tank filter plug C990 vs C990/1

No, it was thick enough to get the screen to solder to it around the edge.

What is the height of the this filter? Thank you in advance.

john

The mangled piece of screen from mine is 2-3/8" high.

Mine is about the same: 2-1/4 " That is the height of the screen, without the threaded section of course.

Bob K.

Thaka Bob, appreciate the help.

john

Hi John
I measured approximately the same as Rob and Bob.
Here are some pictures that might help.
Best Regards
Lukas

Thank you, Lukas. Mine has only the threaded plug, the rest is gone. I am trying to make a filter of sorts.
That end piece looks to be stamped from a flat stock. THese pictures are very helpful. Thanks again.

john

Hi John
You are welcome!
Yes, the end piece is stamped. For a repro, I would suggest to machine a piece in the same shape out of a bronze shaft.
Best Regards
Lukas

Yes, it’s thin brass sheet, stamped in kind of a Bundt cake or salad bowl with a raised center shape. I used a McMaster-Carr part 92916A425 brass flat washer.
There is also a thin brass strip on the side to join the seam of the screen and provide rigidity.

John,

See pics. I have a spare top piece and the metal side strip to which the flat filter screen is soldered together to become a cylinder. See dimensions in the picture; the center hole is something over 3/8" which is the diameter of the copper pipe that fits inhere.
The parts are for free but don’t know whether it’s still attractive to send these across the Atlantic.

Bob K.

1 Like

Use one of these instead. Standard part and only £6.00.
Stainless steel.
Made by Baldwin Filters.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips, Rob.

Bob, thank you for that generous offer. I am working on something at the moment that will look similar to the one Wardell posted. Let me see if it will come together well enough. I’ll post pictures.

Wardell, I am curious as to how the Baldwin mates with the original brass plug.

john

The Baldwin filter has a closed bottom. I didn’t attach it to the brass plug. I simply pushed it onto the suction pipe. I put a self tapper into the bottom of it to give me something to grab when pulling it out.
I could have bored out the brass slightly and pressed it in, to make it more like the original.
I think these filters are fitted to Mercedes or BMW.
At around £6.00 each, why mess about with the conventional type, which often get ripped to pieces when you try to get them out?

Here’s my version of a strainer. I made it from a piece of one-inch copper pipe and scrap pieces I had laying around. The top section has a nice, tight fit around the pickup tube. It kept me out of the wife’s hair for a few days.

john

1 Like

Looks very good John! In any case much stronger than the original Jaguar solution.

Bob K.

1 Like

Very nice job, John!

That looks very professional :+1::+1:

Thank you. The ordinary one-inch copper pipe has an OD of 1-1/8", which is the exact ID of the drainplug; with a little solder it becomes one solid piece. I soldered the overlapping edges of the screen; it can slip off the pipe once the safety wires are cut.

john