Fuel Tank Filter removal

Hi All,

During my recent attempt to fix my starting issue, I opened up the drain plugs on both fuel tanks. Oh my!!! So much rust and crud in there. I got as much out as I could by flushing with some gas. How do the in tank filters come out? Do they twist and pull out? Just pull out? I’d like to replace them or at least do a better tank cleaning with them out if the way. Thank you.

-Ray

Ray,
I have removed the in tank fuel filters (Jaguar part number C29445 then CAC3762 then CBC5649) in my Series III XJ6s and XJ12 to inspect and replace them. They are made of plastic and when installed they are merely pushed onto the end of the fuel pickup tube inside the tank. In order to remove them you have to pull down and twist them to get them off of the metal tube. They can be fragile from age and long term exposure to fuel chemicals. They usually come out after a bit of tugging, but I have had a few of them break as I removed them, occassionally leaving the top piece on the tube. They were originally white, so if yours are dark brown, like some of the ones I removed were, they have probably been in there a while.

If you should be able to remove it with only your fingers. If you use any tools you are likely to break the plastic or puncture the filter screen. No need to ask how I know that. :wink:

Paul

Paul,

I appreciate the information and tips. I started to use needle nose pliers to pull one of them out and thought, hmmm…I better ask before I do some damage. Thank you got keeping on the right path.

Ray