Fuel Tanks, Fuel Returns For Sniper on a Lump

Well, spectra say 3/16 x 24 UNS. The old bolts won’t even go half a thread to start. I’m off to the bolt shop now.

Nuh, not a chance. the new bolts as per what Spectra says are the same as the old ones, 5/16 x 24 UNF. I’ll tap them out with a 5/16 x 24 tap and if that doesn’t work will drill out and re-tap with something 21st century metric. God I hate this car.

All hunky dory again and i don’t hate it as much. I ran a 3/16th tap down and the bolts slipped in like a sausage into a well oiled wellington. I suspect there was a bit of swarf down there.

I went on to install the new tank so some progress today. The left side will be a lot easier because trial and error and a bit of sideways thinking showed me the method to Jaguar’s madness. The long vertical bolt underneath along with the two on the side loosely holds the tank in place whilst most of the adjustment is done with the two sliding triangle thingies at the lower rear.

1 Like

That’s what I do whenever I can… Not the car’s fault for the extreme stupidity of Imperial fasteners.

Today I picked up some custom made fuel fittings I ordered for the return, and also two new main in-tank feed fittings because I couldn’t find original ones for love nor money.

The cross-overs are modeled on the 6mm Series 2 main feed carb pipes but are now 3/8 and have a turn to face back toward the original return fittings in the front of the tanks to be joined by a short length of rubber fuel line.

As the original returns went forward and aft of the boot cavity between the diff cradle it was more practical to go back and through the same hole as the main 1/2 inch feed to the Pollak. I’m using AN -6 fittings for the outlet.

I also bought some 3/8 and 5/16 Unicoils which are really handy for getting tight bends in fuel line without kinks. Will post some pics as we progress.

Oh yeah. Stroker is in and bolted up. Not long now! I’m still trying to get a pic or advice on modifying the under-bonnet cross brace so it will close on the higher air cleaner.

2 Likes

The Pollak is nearly plumbed up less the pump feed and return. Looks a mess but not really. Everything goes to one spot whereas with the Series 3 FI there were solenoids and pipes and tubes spread all over.

1 Like

Don, where did you get the custom made fittings? Using them with regular fuel hose clamps? How did you make those nice tight bends on the crossovers? Any more progress updates?
Bill

As to getting your mufflers pulled off. I found a tool on EBay that has 2 clamps that clamp around your tailpipe and

the other clamps around your exhaust pipe. It has 2 threaded bolts that run through one clamp and press against the other clamp and spreads them apart. It takes longer to get the clamps set up and it does to take them apart. It is a 2 minute job and does not damage your pipes.

Bill, everything is finished and was ready to fire up last week except for an idiot :roll_eyes: stuffing up the intake manifold. I am waiting for a new one. And still waiting for the bonnet. I sent it away to get the cross-brace modified to clear the higher manifold-Sniper-air cleaner.

Enzed did the new fittings. I’m using mostly proper FI clamps rather than the screw type. Those Unicoils have been a god-send to doing tight bends in the hoses without kinking. I’m sure a pro might be aghast but I think it will work just fine.

Everything fuel related is done. It might look like a half boot full of black spaghetti but there is method to the madness. I wanted the whole shebang to fit in the original cavity so when the cover is in it looks original and the spare wheel area is clear. Although the engine hasn’t been started yet the Polak valve clicks it’s way through it’s duties which is promising.

I don’t have a hoist and that was a horrid job doing the exhaust, so bad I paid a mechanic friend to help. Thanks for the pointers but if it has to be done again It’ll will be straight to the exhaust shop. Either that or I will flip the damn thing on it’s roof.

1 Like

Don, did Enzed use the original metal 5/16 crossover pipes to make the ones in the pic, or did they bend new ones? I agree unicoils are excellent when you need them. Is that smaller black line on the right a return line, maybe separate fpr up front?

The original fuel line to the carbs is now the return. I fabricated the aluminum line on the right for the return which utilizes the original bulkhead fitting. The main feed is now on the left.

Enzed made new 5/16 cross-over pipes from a pattern I made using S3 feed pipes. As these were to feed the returns at the rear of the series 3 tanks I added a right hand bend to make it easier to connect up.

Thanks Don, I wish Enzed were closer to me, those are really nice tubes. I had to hand bend mine in copper nickel and they don’t look great. I’d buy those in a heartbeat.