Full Flow Oil Cooler mod

No leaks or anything, just an upgrade as 2 pipes with some fur on doesnt seem very efficient

I doubt if it’s as efficent as your new one, but it’s probably not too bad. All that fur is aluminum, after all. And presumably the core is a straight pipe, so the pressure loss in the oil flow would be negligible. And remember, it’s possible to overcool oil.

Yes, correction, I did mean Full flow Cooler.

So, somebody with a spare bypass oil cooler needs to pressure test it to failure and tell us how much pressure it’ll hold.

Meanwhile, I guess another concern might be the flow. The full flow cooler must have enough flow capacity, or else! The bypass flow cooler could get away with being more restrictive.

Also, there is confusion (in my mind anyway) as to how much relief flow is occurring, because I would assume relief flow only occurs when the relief valve is open. Which I assume it hardly ever is. I think. At least at idle. So it could well be that cooling results are quite different at idle and full revs. And it would take further analysis to figure out which is better in which circumstance.

Mark
Interesting point. The relief valve is spring operated so will have a range of operational pressures and flows…which will be temperature dependant because of the viscosity of the oil…it will not be an on/off thing…but how does it cope with wear on an engine…when the running pressures may never hit the bypass pressure when the system is hot…?? And the oil is being delivered by a positive displacement pump which maybe still in good condition…hmmmmm…

I enjoy reading about projects undertaken by people who are a lot smarter than I am. But is this oil cooler conversion a cure looking for a disease?

Cheers
DD

1 Like

I would expect relief flow to almost never occur when the oil is hot. Which is precisely when you need oil cooling!

Wrong, IIRC. It’s in one of the academic papers by Hassan or Heynes et al.
They measured flow and temp drop using various cooling systems. Read it about 15-20 years ago, but from groggy memory the full flow was only better flat-out, which means everyone except German drivers need not apply…