Function of Filter Face Plug C29272

Well, my 1974 Series III E Type V12 is down to bare block, and I am glad I decided to do a rebuild as a result of a couple of issues discovered. One very small part - the Filter Face Plug C29272, which has a regular screwdriver head, is not going to come out unless I drill it and use an extractor. I am not sure whether this plug has a meaningful function. If the answer is no, I am not going to worry about getting it out.

Thanks

Rod

Hi Rodney,

Found the C29272 threaded plug in the LH rear block area, page 25.01 of the RTC Parts Catalogue.

Here’s my Wild A$$ Guess (aka WAG).

Looking on page 25.02 two covers are listed for that area. The first, C35165 was used on early production motors (–>7S7376) and was the mount for the Oil Pressure Transmitter and the Low Oil Pressure switch. Starting with engine 7S7377–> a blanking plate was installed as the oil pressure transmitter and low oil pressure switch were moved to the throttle pedestal area.

This is my guess: One early engines that screw plug (C29272) was not installed. This allowed oil to flow into the area activating the pressure transmitter and low oil pressure switch. When a system change was introduced starting with engine 7S7377 the screw plug was installed to blank off the oil port (as it wasn’t needed anymore). Your '74 motor would fit this latter modification. This is just my guess. Searched through the ROM finding nothing. So this is one of those areas that is another “Jaguar Anomaly”. I don’t have a clue why it’s labeled Filter Face Plug since it has nothing to do with the oil filter system on V12 engines. Hopefully other Forum members may chime in with more precise information on that threaded screw. FYI I would not attempt to remove that threaded plug. If it isn’t leaking leave it be!!!

Happy Trails,

Dick

Perfect, Dick. From what I could see the plug did not do anything in my engine. But I am trying to keep my mistakes to a minimum and did not want to just make that assumption, since I am a beginning on learning this engine. I appreciate your research on this subject and will leave it alone.

Best regards

Rod

Thanks for all the hard work on researching this question, Dick. I will leave it alone. It did not look like it went anywhere or did anything on my engine, but I did not want to just make that assumption since I am just learning my way around the V-12. I was also wondering why it was called a a filter face plug, but figured that would prove to be yet another stupid question.

Rod

My fear that it did something was helped along by the fact that the major vendors sell replacements for it, but I think that Jaguar must have put it in with the 1974 equivalent of Loctite and used the screwdriver head on it so that people like me would not try to take it out.

Sounds plausible… +Never know what Jaguar may do (or not do)! If you’re into a complete motor overhaul are you replacing the connecting rod bolts or reusing them?

Happy Trails,

Dick

Dick

I was planning on reusing them, especially given the cost of replacing them all, but the fact that you asked the question makes me wonder if that is a really bad idea?

Rod

Hi Rodney,

Yes, those little bolts (C33271) are both expensive and rare. I attempted having them made by a ARP but they were not interested. Have not contacted any other sources. Most want a production of 20,000 or more bolts to make it worthwhile to reproduce. With over 40,000 V12 motors still in use you would think one of the “Usual’s” would reproduce them. I’m sure the UK Company that produced them for Jaguar would be most competitive, if they could be identified!
If this is the first engine overhaul AND you don’t expect taking the motor close to red line then one reuse should be OK. I would suggest using new rod nuts though!

Post photo’s of your rebuild as I’m sure other Forum members would be most interested.

Happy Trails,

Dick

In a message dated 1/17/2023 5:39:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes: