Funny, the XJ40

Never was a model I would have ever considered for all of the typical reasons one hears.
I’ve restored and had Jaguars all my life…mostly just for me as daily drivers, from the 50’s models to 90s V12s …

How relative things are…

I have been away many years, lived abroad in Europe, never had a car, sold what I had prior. returning what do I do but buy an old Jaguar to restore…sigh…a S1, a very special and sentimental choice, best of both worlds really.

Anyway, my point is I have followed with displeasure at the later models.
Ford apparently forced Jaguar to go retro with the x300, then S type, XK…

While the x300 was successful, the others were not really, not by Jaguar standards. When a designer begins copying himself it is the end.

Anyway, the XJ40 is really the last of the old guard, the last true Jaguar imho.
An important in house design effort in modernization…etc.

You all know the drill…
Interesting the thought what would have happened if Jaguar designers were allowed to run things instead of Ford.

My point, to me, how the later cars have actually enhanced the XJ40, the former bastard stepchild it seemed, suddenly special, no?
I actually prefer the XJ40 to the x300 and later models…

The materials used are much more solid and quality be comparison. The chrome feels old school…as does the car. IMHO

After all these years, and British car shows ,meets, etc…I had not seen one in ages i could recall…only within photos, of course.

recently had experience of viewing an Xj40 for the first time in ages or memory.

I always thought the AJ6, although a reliable and from what I read, an important motor, was a sort of interim motor…nay even a real Jaguar motor worthy of the marque like the V12 and XK.

I was wrong and surprised. It is a very strong and masculine motor. Pronounced in the engine bay and strong…even much larger than I anticipated.

Engine bay organized well, surprised at all the poor reviews and talk form all i had ever read. What I was a well preserved 1993 model, so…sorted.

Also, have to say, as I mentioned elsewhere…the smell.
Funny how these cars all have their particular smell.

The old Jaguar smell reminds me of my Mk2, and Mk7 …those early days and dramas…but a totally different smell in the XJ40.

How it took me back where I otherwise forgot to times I would hang out at the local Jaguar dealership in high school and sit in them…

the XJ40 smells…expensive. Smells like…money, I thought. First thought that came to mind.

Interesting how smells can trigger memories, and funny how times alter perspectives.

As example, today all cars have the tech and controls and gadgets, but they are not fun in my opinion…

How the little buttons and 80s tech has developed a charm to it…they were such a big deal at the time, you know?

Such simple, antiquated technologies, and when fixed how excited one becomes! see, the mpg works! …even if not accurate.

Reminds me how proud I would be to get an interior light to funciton when the door opened in the Etype, etc…like I landed on the moon or something!

Anyway, funny. FWIW…
Kind regards

I fly fish and take my XJ40 VDP on my daily fishing expeditions. It don’t smell of money, it smells of Trout and Salmon!

1 Like