Fuse Box #ering System

This issue used to drive me nuts on my XJ40s, my X-300 and my XJSes – Jaguar has this weird way (at least IMHO) that they #er their fuses within a fuse box. To me, it seems backwards and kinda upside down (i.e. if there is a row of them above/below the other). :crazy_face: Maybe it has something to do with the 'norm" being RHD and not LHD models in the U.K., similar to the way the engine A & B banks seem to be backwards in #ering and “pairs” of interior parts of their cars as well, with “A” being the part/component on the passenger side/LHD and “B” on the driver’s. :thinking:

For example, if you to to look at the 2-row fuse boxes under the front dash panels on either side (e.g. on an XJS) the #ering system seems to be such that the #1 fuse is located on the right end of the lower row, then runs to the left from there, going back to the right end of the upper row and then once again to the left from there (IIRC). Or alternatively, it runs from the right end of the bottom row across to the bottom end of that same row, then up to the left end of the top row and across to the right end of the top row. ? :confused: Reason I bring this up is I need to check out the “#9” fuse located behind the heel board of the rear seats on the left hand side (LHD car) of Harlem. This is the fuse for the radio “head unit/cassette”, and should be 10-amp (red in color). This is though one of those 2-row boxes, so precisely which of the fuses should that be, facing the box and counting from left to right across the top row, and then the bottom row? :confused:

if you have good eye sight, the numbers should be marked in raised lettering.

Use wax or chalk mark to help pic out the raised numbering

Otherwise check several fuse ratings and colours, to check you have the correct orinitation

Where, though? Above or below each fuse? :confused: I know on some models Jag actually put a diagram on the inside of the fuse box cover showing the physical location of each particular fuse inside (along with the name of one of the major components on that circuit, and, IIRC the amp rating #). I wish they would have done that on ALL boxes in all their models. :disappointed:

Next to fuse.

See at bottom.

Very good thinking :+1: So it would be the (red) one on the right end of the top row, apparently … :thinking: :Can’t wait to check it out … thanks! :smiley_cat:

That’s a trunk fusebox. Not heal.

It’s the only one I could find with decent pic, to show you how they are marked

I was thinking that looked like too many fuses for one of the heel board boxes … :crazy_face: I wonder why only the bottom row is #ed, btw, but I don’t see any #ing for the top row (i.e. 1-9), or are they just not visible in that pic? :confused:

They are all numbered
They are all numbered